Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A little reminiscing...

So, we had the big first birthday at our house on Saturday. I had of course been thinking about Aleah turning 1 a lot the last while (bad sentence... sorry to my in-laws who also happen to be English majors!). Anyway, I love babies, no doubt about it. I've always been a baby person more than a terrible 2 person. haha. So my natural tendency is to be sad at how fast time flies, how she's not much of a baby anymore, etc. But I guess awhile ago I just decided that I know too many truly sad stories and your baby turning one is not one of them. So this is not going to be sad for me! I'm going to remember with great joy (and fatigue), the adorable, tiny, cuddly baby stage, but gracious, she makes a pretty swell one year old too and we're just going to think about all the fun times ahead and um, find a way to keep her from totally destroying the place. But it is really fun to look back and remember when she was born. Especially being further removed from all the emotion and um, ouch, of it all. What a day that was. wowee. Here's a few pictures - I think some of them were floating around FB awhile back and drum roll please.... some of them never before released to the general public.

I don't know if you can see it as well on the resized pic, but it was a long time later that I noticed her little foot sticking up on this picture. So crazy.
She wasn't born how I wanted her to be (as in delivery method, not her personally - she was perfect), but wow, there was nothing in the world like this moment - I got to watch it all in the mirror - the photo has been nicely edited. There are things on that pic that I think went back inside me. At least I hope they did! ha. and shudder.

Getting a first close up look at her.

Now I need to preface this next pic - you know when you see pictures of these beautiful women who have just given birth but they don't even look like it at all? And you wonder, how could that person really have just had a baby?? Well, I'm proud to say, I'm not one of them! My sister told me I could just delete this photo -what? I'm proud of how hideous I look and how crazy much work it took to get her birthed! Delete it? no way? I'm about to share it with the world. Cause I'm a dork. Anyway, I have family members like the aforementioned ladies, and really, I'm happy for you. = )

eesh
That first night I was so exhausted but also really drugged up so I couldn't sleep much. I just held her most of the night and drifted in and out of sleep. I hoped it made up for the hours I wasn't able to be with her right after she was born. She seemed totally perfect and I couldn't believe she was ours!


"Tell me a story mom."


SO tiny in that big car seat.
And wow - a mere 6 months later and her thighs have swelled to 100 times their original size. I think this was the height of her chunkiness.

And now she's one - her thighs aren't that huge anymore but she's still pretty squishable. And she's got some hair which is fun. (and not as heavy to haul around as the thighs)

Little party at the park - So, I tired to do everything ladybugs, but looking at the pics, it just looks red and black. Oh well. There was a nice big ladybug balloon that flew away before the party started and only shortly before we lost all of these. = ( A friend took a bunch of pics so I'll try to post more when I have them. I didn't get tons of great ones.

She did really like the cake.
Hanging out, opening some presents with her pal. So there ya have it. One year old. My friend Sue was supposed to come over the weekend, but her flight was canceled so she's planning on coming this coming weekend instead. So I'm really really really looking forward to hanging out with her. The birthday festivities on Saturday were followed by the nastiest case of stomach flu befalling me - I don't think I've had it that bad since I was a teenager. And thankfully, no one else here has gotten it. I'm praying it stays that way. I felt like I was going to die, but thankfully, it didn't last long. whew! the End.

9 comments:

Jeremy and Sabrina said...

I enjoyed reading this. Aleah is as cute as ever.

Jenni said...

love the reminiscing. yer funny. i like the "bad" picture of you too.

Soo said...

Aww...that's a nice writeup and collection of memories and recent events. I used to think babies were babies forEVER. I dun't think that any more...

Bethany said...

Such a cutie patootie. Wish I could give her a smooch again. Nicely written too, by the way. ; )

Rhonda said...

i like this post! love the pictures and once again: she is a super cute baby!

Kendra said...

I like this post and all the pictures too. Looks like you had a really nice party. How 'bout you come to Red Lake the first week of June while I'm there so I can see your little girl in person for once?

Melva said...

Great read Rachel! And you know what? I just loved every stage, and you will, too, cause that sense of humor will get you through!

shaunjoy said...

I love looking back to when babies were born -- it seems impossible that they were ever that tiny! Looks like a great b-day party, even with the disappearing balloons!

Anonymous said...

This was great Rachel! It was fun to read and seeing the pictures made me smile.....when do we get to see your smiling face in person??????

Debbie