Monday, October 05, 2009

Ramblings from my neck of the woods

Ack! I've been the most terrible blogger lately. I don't know where to start to try to actually update you on our lives soooooooo...... let's see... This past week has been BLA! Child care has one huge draw back - getting sick. Those turkeys kept getting sick and I thought I was going to be able to avoid it, but alas, it struck and struck hard. Right now I think I have the worse cough I've ever had in my life. I've never coughed to the point of throwing up, but that is life right now. Ugh. sorry if that's TMI. I'm heading back to work tomorrow for the first time since last Tuesday so we'll see how it goes. I'm open to prayers for health around here. And Dave is supposed to take his big huge oral exam a week from tomorrow (a major hurdle in getting his PhD) so I've been so paranoid that he'll get it. It would be pretty rotten timing. Also, about this cough, I feel like I've tried everything and nothing really helps- Vicks (even on my feet, Rita), lemon juice and honey, cough drops, etc. Steam does help for awhile so I've been boiling water and hanging my head over that and it helps for maybe a half hour or so. yeah. So the other night, it was sort of a joint effort between Dave and I - I asked him to turn the burner on that the water was sitting on (so many poorly placed prepositions) so he did and when I went to check on it, the living room was filled with smoke and there were terrible sounds coming from the burner. Turns out the burner was fire red hot, but all the water had steamed out and the empty pot was sitting on the burner. yikes! It was not pretty. Then the smoke alarm started going off. Nice to know it works in case we ever need it. ah well, at first I thought the pot might be ruined, but I think it'll be okay. What else is going on here? football - BORING! So tired of hearing about football. This Saturday, LSU is playing Florida something and apparently it's a big fat huge deal because right now, LSU is ranked # 4 and FL is ranked #1. If LSU wins, they will be #1. And it's a home game. The town shall be in crazed uproar that could only possibly be brought on by the combination of the south and football (I think it's worth than the North and hockey, if you can imagine). We are finally, slowly getting things together in the living room area of our apartment. It's taking forever, part of the reason being that we had to get some new furniture and get rid of other stuff to make everything work in the smaller space that we now inhabit. Anyway, I want to post pictures of it sometime soon. When this place is finally in order, I shall be beside myself with glee. And I spose we don't have as much time to waste as we once did, since come the beginning of May, there will three of us crammed in here. Okay, so that's still a ways off, but... that also explains why this nasty sickness has been particularly unpleasant. Alrighty, well, on that happy note, I think I'll sign off.

21 comments:

elise said...

I can finally express my excitement for you! YEAH!!!! So excited and happy for you! Can't wait to see you at the wedding! Take care and get lots of rest while you can.

Bethany said...

YESSSSS!!!! I love how you slipped the wee babe in there at the end - I wonder how many people are going to miss that?! So much excitement these days!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Congratulations!!!!! I caught it Yea Rachel and Dave Wow!!!! But you take care of yourself!! keep doing the vicks not just once but night after night!!!How exciting !!!!!!! Keep us posted on every little detail!!!!
and oldMom
Twila

rhonda said...

i was wondering if you were going to talk about being sick, but not talk about baby. :) way to be subtle. :) hope you are starting to feel better!! if not, i'm still up for a trip to the pharmacy... :D

LaRonda said...

I caught it and it it is even 5:55 AM....Congratulations!!!! Hope you are feeling better soon.

karla said...

yes, i caught it, but i kept re-reading it, b/c, you know, i don't want to be gossipy and presumptuous, etc. but now that i see these other comments, i will go ahead and be presumptuous and hopefully not gossipy. CONGRATUFREAKALATIONS, LORETTA!!! that is so awesome! give my regards to Bill and to the little one. :)

shaunjoy said...

Ah, my suspicions hold true yet again... "She who does not blog is pregnant."

Congratulations!

Sabrina said...

yeah!! congratulations! I can't beleive you just left us hanging like that without any details. How are you feeling? No wonder you're sick. Oh boy, I did not see that coming. I'm so excited for you (and Dave of course!) :) I'm not good with math. How far along are you?

My Not-So-Empty-Nest said...

Oh Rachel! Thanks for amusing Merle and I this morning with your saga. And congratulations to you both!!! Between weddings and babies, I'm kept busy trying to stay up on my friends lives.
And Twila is right about the every night vicks thing! I wish she could teach you how to massage your own hands for colds as well.
Take it easy, don't worry, be happy, sing songs to baby, and most of all, remember you are loved! (Huge smiley face here!)

Jenni said...

hehe. great, exciting news. i feel like i'm gonna be a grandma. haha. just kidding. :-)

i have to revise joy's comment since i'm not pregnant and i'm not blogging much: "She who does not blog is pregnant - or a home-schooling mom of four!"

Robyn said...

OH YAY! Can't believe I'm the last one...seems like. I must have checked your blog right before you posted this. Argh! Anyway, congrats and love and all of that. can't wait to talk to you one day!!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't been on here much lately. Never fails, that's when all the good stuff happens! I am so happy for you! You will make wonderful parents (although I haven't actually met Dave - he loves you - need I say more?)

Take care of yourself!

See you soon?????

Debbie

Kim said...

Yay! I realize I'm behind... but so happy for you guys!!!!
PS my word verification was "numanimc"... baby name? i think yes.

the Neuschs said...

YEAH!!! Way to be subtle! Hope you feel better soon!!

ribbit98 said...

I am also way behind on sending congrats, but I have an excuse...we were out of town and away from the computer so I couldn't check your blog. However, Bethany G did message me on FB to share the wonderful, double news of you and Kendra! I am happy about this pregnancy not only because, Lord willing, it will produce a healthy baby at the end, but throughout it should provide ample opportunity for humor to proceed from your pen! Love & prayers, SH

lisa said...

oh my!!! that is awesome!!! Congratulations!! :-) I was suspicioning such a thing...but wasn't sure! I hope it's a boy....cuz they're great! :-) I've heard girls are ok also...but I wouldn't know.

iris said...

WooHoo! Way to go Girl! Sorry it took so long for me to leave a comment. =) Jenni told me yesterday when I got here but I haven't read blogs till tonight seeing as how I was doing other pressing things. I'm VERY happy for you. (And, as always, just a tad jealous that it's not me.) You and that mathematician husband should do well with the "be fruitful and multiply" thing. =) Can't wait to hear your updates throughout.

Betty said...

Congatulations! How exciting! I can see you being a great Mom! Don't know your husband but Iam sure he will make a fine Dad! I love to come and see how the south is doing and what you all have been up to! I am excited for you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Rachel!!! I'm so happy for you. :) I hope the morning sickness diminishes soon for you. Soon you'll be able to feel baby flutters! That's so exciting. :)

Anne Jisca

Judy said...

Glad to know that Howardina is finally out in the open! I hope you are feeling better. We're very excited about Christmas and seeing all 2-1/2 of you! Love, Judy

Matthew and Rhonda said...

i guess you know a good way to get lots of comments now. :) you'll have to repeat it soon. ha ha.