Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Our little kumquat...

Well, I've been meaning to update this thing for quite some time now and there's always something better to (like lay on the couch?). Anyhoo, thanks for all the congratulations. = ) That is a great way to get comments, but somehow, not sure if it's entirely worth it, for that reason alone anyway. So, a few more details on our lives - I'm 10.5 weeks along. I feel like time has started to pick up a little bit and is going faster than it did the first month, which is nice. I love reading what's going on week by week - week 10 - your baby is the size of a kumquat, a little over an inch long, and weighs a quarter once... BUT, already you could see finger and toe nails! How cool is THAT. Until I think there's toe nails inside me, then it sorta creeps me out. But anyhoo... I continue to struggle with this nasty cold that won't go away. It has been 2 weeks and yesterday there was still a knife in my ear and throat. So I went to the doctor and of course, he wrote me a prescription. I did not want to take anything like that! Now the symptoms are getting better, but I feel strung out on drugs. And the nausea right before bed is pretty bad - not sure if that's from the drugs or not, but I don't think they help in that department. Anyway, I've missed so much work, church, etc. lately and I can't wait to rejoin life again one of these days. A word about dreams, because I hear you're supposed to have weird, vivid dreams when you're pregnant. Well, Dave dreamt a long time ago that our unborn had an iphone in the womb and was sending him text messages! I guess he's taking over the strange dreams department for me. What else? Oh yes, a word or 2 about baby names. tee hee. After watching my siblings fight over this issue for years and years... well, Dave and I have this thing when it comes to making decisions. any decisions. I like to keep options open as long as possible. He liked to seal the deal as quick as possible. Yes, what a nice match. So, this is really dorky to admit, but I will.... way long ago last Christmas, long long before we ever even had a little kumquat, we drove to Red Lake from Baton Rouge and then back home again. All this translated to hours and hours in the car with not much to amuse ourselves. So, on one stretch, I got out the paper and we started writing down names we sort of like. Boys first, then girls. We got a ton of boys names, then we developed this highly technical rating system where we each put a certain number of stars by each name, based on how much we liked it. Then we counted all of them and chose the ones with the highest total number and picked middle names and everything. (side note - we could have about 8 boys but only 1 or 2 girls) So anyway, it was fun and a great way to pass the time. Now, fast forward to a time when naming a child is actually reality and not a road trip game. In Dave's mind, it was done and decided months ago and he doesn't even want to talk about it anymore! In my mind, now that I'm actually pregnant, we have to fight... er... discuss names more and pour over the name books because that's what you do when you're pregnant! ahhhhh!!!! He even said, "I've been looking forward to meeting my son Bueford for the past 8 months! Don't take this away from me!!" (only it's not really Bueford, in case you thought otherwise) ha! So he'll probably win, since he's so dramatic and all. Speaking of Dave, if you read this today before 2:40 EST, say a prayer for him. He's taking his oral comprehensive exam today, which is a big hurdle in getting his Ph.D. I'm not sure which of us is more nervous. But I'm sure he'll do fine. Then he just has to write his little paper and he'll be done! Or book thingy or what have you. Okay, well I think I've prattled on long enough. Have a great day!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

2:40 CST by the way. so that would be 3:40 east coast time. But you can still pray at 2:40 east coast time.

Dave

rachelslab said...

duh. I knew we weren't eastern time. sorry for the misinformation.

Judy said...

Love your blog! Sorry to hear you are still struggling with your cold. I hope the drugs do the trick.

We had picked the name Christopher for our first son. Then we met him and he didn't look like a Christopher. He looked like a David. :) Seriously, Bueford or Howardina would be lovely.

We're thinking of you today and sending our best wishes. I've prayed Dave through many, many years of exams. Hopefully we're almost at the end! (except for that 'little paper thingy.')

rhonda said...

i liked reading this. :) i'm sorry you're sick and i hope you can pick a name with a minimal amount of conflict.

Bethany said...

I am totally with you on the thing of knowing lots of boy names to use, but not girl names. I'll be praying for Dave's test today!

Sabrina said...

It's 3:40 so I'm praying! Picking names is so much easier before you actually get married and have to agree with someone else. :) I'm sure you'll find a good one. We're down to 8 weeks until d-day and still haven't confirmed it. Can you send me some suggestions?

Jenni said...

You could just name it "Kumquat". It'd be good for boy or girl! :-D

LaRonda said...

Rachel, you guys are too funny. I would love to hear some recordings of your conversations...then again maybe not :-)

Robyn said...

Good luck with the names. I would send you suggestions, but I don't think you and I have had the same taste in names in the past :-) ha ha

elise said...

I like Dave's dream! When I was pregnant with Scotty, Derek had more pregnancy symptoms that I did...which included crazy dreams!
Good luck with the name game! And I hope you feel better soon.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I had no idea you were expecting a kumquat. When is it supposed to be ripe?