Sunday, September 20, 2009

"Go to the MATTRESSES!"

(It's from the Godfather - I've never seen the Godfather, but I've seen "You've Got Mail" um, several times...) Anyhoo... I guess it's been awhile so I thought I'd share with you some of the great perplexities of life that we are pondering in our search for a new mattress. Warning - this will probably be long and boring and you can stop now and I won't be offended. You can even post comments pretending like you've read the whole thing, and I'll still be your friend. I know your time is precious. Okay, with that disclaimer, Dave and I have been in the market for a new mattress for awhile. I frequently wake up with neck, back, etc. aches and it's pretty difficult to get comfortable on the one we have. So we've been keeping our eyes open for awhile, but yesterday we did more of a serious hunt. Oh my, where to begin? We've met some interesting people and have had some interesting discussions about life and our role as good stewards through all of this. Okay, to back up, a few weeks ago, we were browsing a furniture store. This is how it works, in case you have never done this before. Upon you arrival, a person grabs you, introduces themselves, asks for your name, and starts showing you around and telling you to lay down on the mattress. Of course the mattresses they start with are 2 - 4 thousand buckeroos and you lay down in them and it is as if you are floating in the heavenlies. Upon seeing the look of pure bliss combined with relaxation that settles upon your face, your personal little helper then convinces you of all the reasons you must have this mattress, you can't live without this mattress, you are really doing your back a disservice without this mattress, and any other decision you make will just be poor long term planning on your part. Not to mention the amount of money people spend on their cars that they only drive 15 minutes a day. You spend a third of your life on your mattress, you're a fool to not invest in a quality one. Okay, so anyway, we were browsing through this store, humbly complying and laying on pure-bliss-but-way-out -of-our-price-range mattresses when the sweet lady (I think this was all the same lady, but maybe a couple different ones combined in my brain) quipped, "You know, you can't put a price tag on a good nights sleep!" To which I thought, "REALLY? looks like you just did! Why don't we just take this one for free then. hello!" And she gave us a coupon for 20 percent off that could only be used TODAY of course. Anyway, that was all awhile ago. We have laid on our share of mattresses that we will never buy. Yesterday we went to a store that was recommended by someone and she said they have memory foam mattress but not the really expensive brands like Tempurpedic. She said they have very reasonable prices. So there we were greeted by Elaine, who, to her credit, was very helpful, courteous, and not too pushy. She'd leave and let us shop around without hovering and barking out mattress knowledge. They indeed were much cheaper and we found one there we really liked but still, it was more than we wanted to pay. I'll just throw out numbers here, even though it's very unAmerican to let your friends in on your financial affairs. It will just make more sense that way. So there was one there for 698 that we liked. One for 898 that was even better. = ) We told her we liked that 700 one but that was a lot of money, he's a student, etc etc. So we were going to keep shopping and think about it. Next we went to another furniture store and were greeted by Rebecca. She was also nice, not quite as fabulous as Elaine, but still very nice and helpful and let just look on our own. That store had some closeouts that were more reasonable, but of course, we weren't ready to get anything, just looking around. There was another store we wanted to go to because I had this memory in the far recesses of my brain of a really really good sale there on an amazing mattress. In retrospect, I must have been seeing the price tag for the night stand next to the bed or something of that nature because there is no way that store would have been selling the mattress I remember for the price I remember. So anyway, at store # 3, we were greeted by THE MATTRESS NAZI. Oh my good gracious. She was not kind, she was not friendly, the corners of her mouth did not turn up, and she had an extremely poor bedside manor. She immediately commanded us to lay on Tempurpedic mattresses, way outside our price range, one after the other. Yes, we know they are amazing, no, we won't buy this in a million years. But she was just a peach. When we wanted to look at some of the lower end ones, she practically scoffed at us, told us we would hate them, told us everything wrong with them, bla bla bla. We were thinking, sheesh lady, a 600 sale is better than NO sale! But with everything she was saying, we both started to think about the 689 mattress at the other store and how they sounded very similar and maybe that one was terrible too. Well, we left that store and the mattress nazi and both had the same thoughts - good gracious - only in America (maybe some other places too, I dunno) will people make you feel like you're living in absolute poverty if you don't spend 3000 bucks on a mattress! And make you feel like a total looser if you can't spend that kind of money! And convince you that anything under 1000 bucks isn't worth owning! So here we are, not wanting to spend much money at all, even the 700 one seems like way too much to us, and pondering things like, is there a point when sleeping on a $4000 mattress is just complete indulgence and pointless and a waste of good resources? On the other hand, one of their main selling points is that people buy low end mattresses and they don't last, when you can buy one for 2500 or so and it comes with a 25 year guarantee - so it's the only mattress you'll buy for the next 25 years at least. So maybe it is a good investment - if you know that you'll in living somewhere in the US for the 25 years. Who knows - in 5 years we might be selling our mattress on craigslist or giving it to someone who needs one because we're moving across the ocean. who knows. Dave was saying how even if we could afford it, he's not sure he would feel right about sleeping on something like that, given the way that most of the world lives. (not that I stand in judgement of anyone out there who might have a $3000 mattress! those things are amazing!) He was saying how he saw photographs of orphans in former Yugoslavia (a long time ago) who were sleeping on bare coils - those were their mattresses. It just made me ill. But then I had the thought that unless we buy a 500 dollar mattress and send them the other 1500 to buy beds, what difference does it really make to the rest of the world what we sleep on? ack! I feel like I'm totally rambling here, but these are real and honest questions we find ourselves asking. Where is the balance in things like this? Buying something quality that allows you to sleep well is great, but at what point do you cross the line into greed, indulgence, and having to have the best? How do we honor God with purchases like this? Side note, we came home and I was checking on Overstock.com and they have memory foam mattress for 370 - 600. One they have right now is 37something and comes with 2 memory foam pillows! whoo hoo. But the big risk with that is buying it without laying on it first. Anyway, I think, lucky for you, that I am near the end of my mattress rant. Feel free to weigh in with your profound words of insight. That's all for now. I'm ready to toss and turn on my much much much less than $2000 mattress. g'night!

10 comments:

shaunjoy said...

Not too much mattress advice here. It's been awhile since we bought one, although I do recall being forced to lay on lots of them which is always a slighty uncomfortable process -- I don't want people watching me lay in bed...and do I need to take my shoes off first? And don't get me started on the whole soft vs firm issue -- hopefully you and Dave have similar preferences. I completely understand the "what amount is too much" conundrum. Seems like that issue comes up with everything from cars to food to clothes and everything in between.

Bethany said...

No advice here either - I've slept on free ones for too many years. I think I'll die on the day I have to spend money for furniture of my own. :(

Jenni said...

oh my. i think if you have$2000 to spend on a mattress, you should get one for $800 and give the rest away. but i'm guessing you really don't have $200 to spend! that, obviously, was just my opinion. i'm not God, and i sure don't know how to balance all of that stuff. for what it's worth, we bought a decent mattress when we got married. keith bought it and i had nothing to do with the process. i can't remember for sure, but i think he spent about $500. but he got it from matt f. who had a furniture store at the time, so he might have gotten a good deal. anyway, 11 years later, we're still sleeping on it and it seems pretty good. it might sag a teeny bit in the middle, but that's where we're both supposed to sleep anyway, right? it might be heavenly to sleep on a $2000 mattress, but it's certainly not necessary for our comfort. again, my opinion. (i'm full of those, you know.) and now i will shut up before this is as long as a book!

Jenni said...

i meant "i'm guessing you don't have $2000 to spend..."

Sabrina said...

I bought the mattress we use when I was single. I got a good deal because I didn't care if the fabric was a weird color. Odd, but you could ask about it. I LOVED that mattress. Then I married a man twice my size and now I roll to the middle or spend the night feeling like I'm sleeping on a hill. We need a new bed also, but its one of those things that we just don't feel like spending money on. Hope you find something! I never thought of overstock.com

karla said...

once again, a very enjoyable read, loretta! i laughed, i cried...etc. i did laugh. i didn't cry, but the questions you're asking about spending money are very good questions and very worth asking. i don't think there is necessarily one right answer (maybe there is?) but the good thing about asking these questions is that it makes us live more thoughtfully and not just get sucked into the crazy consumeristic lifestyle of spending willy-nilly w/o any regard to the rest of the world's poverty. so, i think asking the questions is a good start. that's all i have to say. :)

Anonymous said...

We have had 2 very used mattresses in our forty years of marriage. I couldn't stay in bed too long because my back would get sore. I'd have to go to a chiropractor a minimum of every 6 weeks.... did that for about 30 years, even going to Kenora before one came to Red Lake. Then we spent some awful amount (like maybe two hundred dollars) for a good memory foam topper, and I spent another 75 for one memory foam pillow... and guess what? I sleep well, and never go to a chiropractor anymore. So was that a pay-off, or what?! Melva

Judy said...

I greatly enjoyed your mattress rant. And, yes, any large American purchase makes me feel like scum. Major guilt. Our last mattress purchase was a bargain clearance set that I found after making the rounds and sleeping on the 3000 ones. I paid 600. It's lasted about 10 years. That's 60 a year to avoid neck and back pain. As your loving Mom and Dad-in-law, we'll give you a call and pitch in a little as an early Christmas gift. Better to contribute to your comfort than to junky gifts, right? Lots of love!

Anonymous said...

Kevin and I decided we wanted a good mattress, and Kevin does have back problems. So we were looking and of course tried out a $2000 dream of a mattress, but then came down from that cloud and found one at a $1000 (our top price) that we also liked... then some friends gave us an early wedding gift in the form of $500 and I went online looking for bedroom furniture and saw that a Brick store in Edmonton was closing down and all their mattress' were half price! So we called Kev' brother and fiance and asked to take a look... they found a step above our dream for $1150 originally $2300 and the actual cost for us was $500 less... we were blessed! When we travel we can't wait to return to our mattress. We are very glad we invested in that.

Emily (Weaver) Wiebe

ribbit98 said...

I believe that the two most important investments in a newly married couples' lives are a good vacuum cleaner and a good bed! It's worth paying big bucks for a greatly improved general state of health & happiness!