Monday, June 01, 2009

Happy June 1st

Or as they say in Louisiana, Happy Hurricane Season. Okay, so they don't say that, but today is officially the opening of hurricane season. odd. They say they have 5 seasons here. Hopefully this one is a little less eventful than the last one. Trees and power lines laying all over the ground makes an interesting blog post, but it doesn't seem quite worth it, somehow. Well, anyway, here I sit at the computer and trying to come up with a post that won't be hideous to read. I have had posts rolling around in my head for some time, but feel so very uninspired as of late. Anyway, I have reason to believe that my posting would be so enriching to 1 of my 3 readers, that it would fill her life with new joy and hope, so I shall plod on.

Last weekend we had such a fabulous time with our guests who game from Texas for the long weekend. They're on furlough after doing Bible translation in Asia for the last 4 years. I was literally inspired just by being around them and have had so much running through my head since then. It's amazing to me how much they have sacrificed and are able to do without for the sake of what they do. But what was even more amazing to me was that for them, it didn't really seem like a huge sacrifice. They would say, oh, we have a nice place, we're not really roughing it at all, we have it really well. But then when you asked more questions, you find out how they really live - limited Internet, phone call to family every 3 months, power maybe half the time, 100+ heat without even a fan to run, not to mention air conditioning, no shower or bathtub, etc. But it doesn't occur to them to complain about these things. This is just life. Then I think about my cushie little life and all the dumb things I complain about and how I think I would die in Baton Rouge without air conditioning. Such a completely different way to live, and only one thing worth living that way.

In other news -- Um.... well, there isn't much. We are looking forward to going to Atlanta in a couple weeks for Dave's cousin's wedding. Dave's family will be there and I'm so ready to get out of the city and see a change of scenery.

All year I've had these ideas of things that would be neat to get Dave for his birthday. Now that it's a couple weeks away, I have NO idea what any of them were and I have no good ideas. hmmm....

This past weekend, we discovered the best cheesecake known to mankind. Oh my word. It was amazing. Thankfully, the price of it will limit or consumption of said cheesecake. Here's a tip -if you drive by a restaurant called "The Cheesecake Bistro," do yourself a favor and stop. oh my. Mine was caramel and some other type of flavor and Dave's was banana with the banana's soaked in this carmely, cinnamony syrypy stuff. I need a walk just remembering it.

I've been working on the wedding book some more. I'll try to post pics soon. There's 2 pages I did today that I'm ready to completely undo. I could post and ask your opinions. I just used paper that's too busy and it distracts from the pictures. Muted and classy looks better than lots of writing on paper. arg. Anyhoo... I guess I'll stop rambling now and post some pictures.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Oh, Rachie-poo, you do underestimate yourself - new joy and hope is brought to all of our lives by everything you write! That cheesecake sounds more than a little tasty.

Sabrina said...

Post pictures of your scrapbook. we've been married 5 years and I haven't even put anything in a book. :( P.S. I think I'll go make a cheesecake now!