Tuesday, March 03, 2009

sleepy...

I've had a few posts rolling around in my head and now I don't much remember them. So, let's see. I did in fact start a new job. I guess I didn't really go into detail about it in the last post. The job is for a program called Parents as Teachers and it's similar to what I was doing in Indiana. This job is home visiting plus spending a lot of time in the high schools (I'm assigned to one HS) and talking to the girls. I had some of the training I needed because we used the Parents as Teachers information when I worked for Healthy Families. I started yesterday and had been dreading getting up early and also the crazy interstate driving to the HS. Pretty pathetic, I know. So to compound the problem of having to get up early, I've also resorted to my tried and true method of dealing with any type of life changes at all - insomnia. The combination is not good. I've also been having wicked headaches and feeling in general like I was hit by a mack truck. But, back to happy things - the job. It's only been 2 days and so far, quite boring. I have no case load yet and I'm not really doing formal training. Today my supervisor was gone all day - so I helped the receptionist cut out number cards for some conference, wrote in my journal, did stuff online, went for a long lunch break with Dave - there's literally nothing for me to do! So that part is sort of obnoxious because the time goes rather slowly. I'm sure things will pick up soon. Tomorrow I'm going to a conference with them all day and I'm THRILLED that I don't have to be there till 9:30. And I'm taking drugs tonight. Because this is ridiculous. And can I just say... I don't know why people like cities. I really don't. City traffic has got to be one of the MOST OBNOXIOUS things known to mankind! Seriously! It took me a solid half hour to get to the school this morning. (about 12 miles) But coming home from work today was the real joy. As I left, I noticed, thanks to Lucy, that I had gone .3 miles in about 11 minutes. It took me almost 50 minutes to get home and I came straight home, other than stopping for a quick re-fuel. SERIOUSLY!!! It's so annoying. But I'll stop ranting and raving about it now. It's just that if I would have wanted to spend half my day in the car, I would have become a taxi driver! Oh, and it's 5.3 miles to work. That's right. I could bike faster if there were places to do so. Or I could have 3 years ago. Anyway... um... let's see.... Rhonda asked about my foot - I'm going to the doc on Friday and hopefully that will be it. I've been driving (sorry Debbie!) and everything and it's fine. Driving is really not a big deal, it just gets sore pretty easy when I'm on it a lot, but that seems logical to me. I think the doctor would like me to sit on the couch until there's no twinge of discomfort, but that's just not reality. I gotta make me some money to pay me doctor bills! I'm trying to think if there's anything else interesting going on here and I can't come up with anything. So, I guess I'll sign off for now. I want to post pictures, but we need to watch supper and make American Idol and I've got my priorities straight! Oh, I forgot to mention the best thing about this job - the office is closed for one week over Thanksgiving and TWO WEEKS over Christmas! You do have to use some of your own vacation for some of it, but they give you I think it's 7 paid days over Christmas, in addition to your normal paid holidays. So I'm pretty happy about that. I was dreading Dave having a month off and me getting one day. This way we can maybe even go somewhere or something.

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

good to hear from you! sorry about the sleep issues, and i guess that being bored at a new job is better than being really stressed. :) new jobs are always awkward, so just remember that in a few months it will all be more comfortable. that holiday schedule sounds great!!

Jenni said...

hi! thanks for the post. sorry about the traffic... i'm too brain-dead at the moment to write anything intelligent.

love ya!

lisa said...

i love traffic!!! turn the radio onto your favorite radio station and just relax!!! Brent hates traffic too and gets very antsy!! doesn't bother me a bit! :-)

take two advil pm's....ever tried them? they work wonderfully...love them, couldn't live my life without them, took them last night!!! I'm totally famous for thinking all night long about things I need to do the next day....drives me nuts!!!

Robyn said...

Yeah, be glad you don't have 4 kids fighting in your backseat during bad traffic! :-) ha ha
I like Lisa's idea about relaxing...I don't get stuck in traffic more than once or twice a year though. Anyway, the new job sounds very interesting, I'd love to hear more details as you find out more what you'll be doing. Hope you start sleeping better. And someday you can move out of the city. :-)

elise said...

I don't enjoy city traffic either. Blah! Hope you're enjoying your job though! Good luck with it!