Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Spice Girls

Last night was irritating indeed. I try to have a good mood, but they seem so fleeting these days. Anyway, here's the story. We were registered at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for our wedding. I really liked them - they were always so easy to work with and told us something about the fact that if we get anything that we're not happy with, we can always exchange it or get a refund - the registry acts as a receipt. Well, I should have taken care of this awhile ago, and I know it's been over 6 months since we got married, but I thought I'd just call and check. We received several things things that we registered for and really like, but the writing tends to come off, which is sad, because it's very nice stuff. One of the things was a spice rack. It's the cutest spice rack you'll ever meet and I've been in love with it since we brought it home. But the with just normal use (unless my Canadian hands sweat an excessive amount down here in the south or something), the letters on the jars wear off - some were gone to the point that you couldn't read it at all. So I had been meaning to call them and see if they'll back up their products. So that's what I finally got around to doing last night. The lady on the phone was very pleasant and said yes, they have a no-hassle return policy - we could either exchange it for something else there or get our money back. Sounded too good to be true. Yep, it was. ARG! Sometimes people can be SO obnoxious and annoying. I mean, I was just doing what she told me I could do. So we went to take the spice rack to the store along with a couple other things. There were 3 workers looking at them and one was the lady I talked to. Hmmm... maybe the policy changed in the amount of time it took to drive to the store? Anyway, they weren't really clear on what we could do - the guy went and got another spice rack exactly like the one we brought in and our impression was that we could just exchange it for that one. We asked if it would be possible to look at their others since if we get the same one, the letters will probably just come off again. They didn't know if that would be possible. I'm thinking to myself.... DUH! You said on the phone we could get our money back so what's the different? You hand me the money and I'll get a different one. Or I guess I could take the money and drive to the BB and B in town. Hello Hello Hello. It sounded like they were saying that we could only exchange the spice rack for the same one and then the cheaper stuff we had, we could exchange for something different. So after looking around for awhile, we decided to just change everything even up. The guy thought we could put clear nail polish over the letters to seal them on the spice rack, so we thought we would just do that. Okay, so it was supposed to be easy, right? Wrong, because the cranky little people who work there could not just give us a new spice rack since we had been using the one we brought in for 6 months, apparently - again, different from what they said on the phone. (sorry, this is getting long and it's such a boring story) So the crankiest girl proceeds to open the new spice rack, has ours sitting there, and starts looking through all the ones with the letters that are either gone or faded, and taking the caps off of ours and putting the bad caps on the new spice rack. Now why in the world would you do that? What are they going to do with a new spice rack with half bad lids on all the jars? If we would utter a word, she would glare, hiss, or make it known in some other way that we were to be seen and not heard. Preferably not seen as well would be most optimal. She was some sort of rude. The real drama hit when crank girl discovered that the 2 spice racks did not have the same spices! So she has mixed up all the lids and is left with all these mis-matched jars and now what do you do? So (with the line growing behind us) the other girl decided to just give us the new spice rack. However, now half of our faded letters are on the new spice rack! And the spices were different and I wanted some of my old spices that I use all the time. So we basically made sure we could at least read all the names and had the ones I use all the time and came home with a new spice rack, some brand new lids, some faded lids, some new spices that I didn't have before, and some old ones as well. And feeling demoralized by the mean girl spewing her venom in our direction. It just made be mad - they have always been so nice and we brought in a lot of revenue for those cranky people! All was not lost though, as I can now at least read all the spices in the rack.

In other news - this falls under the "what would you do?" category. Dave and I had an appointment with H & R Block to get our taxes done. We would just do them ourselves but thought that this year with all the moving and different incomes and states and such, it would be easier to have them done for us and we thought it would be a reasonable price. Well, we sat through the whole consultation thing and she entered our info and at the end, the bill for their services is 240! I think it's highway robbery and we could figure out a different way. It costs more because they charge you for each state they do and all that. I dunno. We can pay them 29 bucks for the consultation and then try to do them ourselves. If we can't get the same amount, we can always go back and get our 29 back and pay the full price. We had no clue it would be that much. We do have a $25 off card so that brings it down to 215. But still, seems like a huge rip off to me.

7 comments:

Rhonda said...

so sorry to hear of your troubles! :( can you talk to the lady you talked to on the phone again and tell her your story? that rude one needs a little "help" if you know what i mean.

good luck with the taxes. i would pay for it, myself, because if it weren't for my husband, i would be doing just that since i am CLUELESS about taxes.

Jenni said...

yeah, what rhonda said. ya want i should beat her up for ya??

taxes. huh. i don't know. it might not be as hard as you think to do them. don't know. wendy always does theirs, even for the business.

Jenni said...

what do you mean about your blog dropping off the face of the earth? did i miss something?

rachelslab said...

Yeah - the posts were hiding for a couple days but now they are back, just as mysterioulsy as they disappeared. odd.

Robyn said...

At first I thought Rhonda's comment said to "tell her you're sorry". I'm glad that's not what she said. I think you should talk to management. Although maybe it's too late now since you took the other spice rack already...anyway, she needs some feedback from an unhappy customer, I think!

Anonymous said...

I would write a letter of complaint to the company about the terrible service you received. The whole switching the caps thing is absolutely absurd (and somewhat unsanitary don't you think?)

Taxes - $240. does seem extreme but I guess they kind of have you over a barrel if there's no one else who provided the service.

Debbie

Rhonda said...

hey...did you start your job? how's it going? how's your foot? etc, etc. :) basically, what's up? :)