Monday, March 09, 2009

Salutations and ramblings

There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those cut out for kitchen work, and those who aren't. Oh, and those who tend to bleed excessively in the kitchen. Saturday in the course of making muffins I managed to:
cut my thumb
cut my finger
cut my thumb again (you try grating baby carrots! I ran out of the big ones, a sad fate indeed)
burned my knee (one should wear knee pads when baking with our oven. The door doesn't stay open so you have to hold it open with a knee while getting stuff out, which often proves to be quite painful)
spilled applesauce down the front of me, the bottom of me, and the floor
spilled black pepper all over the inside of the cupboard (it's still there. I hope it doesn't attract mice or anything)

I often feel domestically impaired and this weekend was no exception. I was feeling quite domestic though and made molasses cookies after the muffin fiasco. Both turned out fabulously despite all the annoyances.

In case you were wondering, we did get the house cleaned, by around 9 or so on Friday night.

I'm glad Monday is over. I try to just enjoy work before it picks up too much and is stressful, but oh my - I just have NOTHING to do. I'm going in later this week which is really nice. Today I surfed the Internet, went to Dollar General to browse thinking I didn't really need anything, but came out with paper plates and toilet bowl cleaner, so turns out I did need something. I think I'm saving the Catholic art and gift store for another fun outing another day.

Today is our 7 monthiversary. We had a nice evening - ate pizza and then went to the levee. It was the first time I was there since before Christmas and I just love it there. It was a beautiful night, the sky was gorgeous, there was a huge barge thingy to watch... it was fun to be there again. I didn't have my camera, but you can refer back to the other 900 levee pictures if you want. = P Then Dave worked on Math and I chatted on the phone with a friend which ended up being a long conversation and now I'm very sleepy. And that last sentence was very boring. I need to go to bed. Gotta rest up for the big day of mentally challenging employment coming up.

7 comments:

Sabrina said...

Not much to say, but wanted to let you know I was here and enjoyed reading your blog. :) happy 7th!

Rita said...

oh Rachel, I'm glad your baking turned out so that once you were all bandaid-ed up and clean, you could sit down and enjoy the flavors! Remember, practice makes perfect. or something close to it.

Darlene said...

Rachel, I have to confess that I ready your blog regularly and I find it absolutely hilarious and fascinating. I live my boring life vicariously through several blogs. I'd love to spend some time in Louisiana. I was actually offered a job in Lafayette when I graduated from nursing 100 years ago, in 1992.
Maybe you should consider sponsors for your blog and make some extra cash. You write well
Darlene Troyer

Darlene said...

I don't ready your blog, really, I read it. Spell-check anyone?

Matthew and Rhonda said...

i'm curious...was it "my" muffin recipe? did you try substituting applesauce? how did that work out?

glad to hear that you had a fun evening! you're well on your way to your first anniversary already!! wow.

rachelslab said...

Darlene! Good to hear from you. My life isn't that exciting, but um... wanna sponsor me?

Rhonda - yeah, it was yours, I doubled the recipe and used 1 C. oil and half C. applesauce. It worked well.

Robyn said...

Hey, I know you can make good food...you just might kill yourself in the process. Good grief, girl! Be careful! :-) Sometimes I think about our kitchen fiascos....peanut butter popcorn and cream cheese cupcakes.