Friday, March 20, 2009

having nothing to do at work has a few perks...

Hello all. I've been meaning to blog for quite some time, but it never seems to get done in the evening. So, where to start? Life is looking pretty good right now. Maybe that's because it's Friday. My job continues to me a little, um... low key, shall we say? I made my first contact with a client this morning, after working for 3 weeks. Anyway, I could go on and on, but I won't bore you. They are paying me, so it could be much worse. AND... drum roll please... I HAVE BUSINESS CARDS! I don't have anyone to give them to, but I have business cards! WHOOO HOOOO!!! That was really the only reason I went to college - the dream of someday working at a job where I would have business cards. Come to think of it, it would have been a lot cheaper and a lot less work to just print some off the Internet. ah well, hindsight's 20/20, so they say. Last week I went to Wendy's for lunch. As I was walking away from the counter with my tray, my large water and small frosty lept off the tray and went crashing to the floor. Thankfully, the frosty was fine, but the water and ice made a big mess all over the floor. I walked on and felt bad. Then I was eating my salad and the fork broke. That's right. That's never happened to me before. As I sat eating my salad with a very mini pitchfork (it probably looked to others like I was using my hands - the thing was so small) and watching the workers clean up my mess, I sighed inwardly... at least I have business cards.

A week ago tonight Dave and I had a little date night. You might think people without no kids have no use for those, but it's not true. He was so busy all that week with homework that it seemed as though we had no time to talk at all. So it was lovely - Fridays are the best thing ever. We went to an Indian restaurant with money sent to us from Neilsons TV ratings. haha. They sent us this survey awhile ago with 2 bucks and asked us to fill it out and send it in. Easy enough. So eventually I got the thing sent in, and THEN, they sent us a diary to keep track of our TV viewing for a week, AND 30 bucks! Dave was all over that one, writing each thing down very meticulously - we're hoping $100 falls out of the next envelope. But anyway, so we went to this Indian restaurant which was SO good, but spicy and I'm a big chicken when it comes to spicy. But the best naan ever. If I was as amazing as Robyn, I'd make my own. Anyhoo... I was again amused by some of our differences. I cannot filter out external stimuli. I just cannot do it. It drives me nuts at times and other times, it just makes me feel very informed, because I always know what's going on around me, or nearly always anyway. As much as I am like that, Dave is extreme at the other end of the spectrum. If he is focusing on something, like school work for instance, there are times I'm pretty sure I could burst into flames and he wouldn't notice. So we're trying to have a nice dinner together and all I'm hearing is this loud (slightly obnoxious) girl at the next table! I told Dave that she has her masters degree in English and lost 3 pounds last week without even exercising, and he wasn't even aware that a loud girl existed. There was also talk about thesis topics and something I believe having to do with religious freedom in 19th century Chile. I'm pretty sure that's what it was, but then you'd never know if I was wrong anyway. So that was Friday night. It was fun.

This week we have been somewhat successful at keeping the house clean as we go along, rather than letting everything pile up and having to spend hours cleaning on the weekend, which is what happened the last 2 weeks. Today, I'm happy to report that the house looks lived in, but not trashed. Which makes me excited because.... another drum roll please... I'm going scrapbooking this weekend!!! I'm so excited! It's sort of a boring story how it all came about. I've never met anyone that I'll be scrapbooking with, which is a tad unnerving for me, but I'm so ready to get going on our wedding pictures and really need a jump start. I have been getting e-mails from a Creative Memories consultant (from several of them actually) since I wrote and asked her about a book. Wednesday I got this e-mail about is fun filled scrapbooking weekend she was having this weekend at a hotel near by. I had skimmed it and thought wow, looks like fun, but it'd never work. But then yesterday I read it in more detail and was practically drooling. But I still thought, no, it's not a practical thing to do right now and my buttercup wouldn't want me to leave him and we shouldn't spend money on that... bla bla bla. I just casually mentioned it to Dave last night and he really thought I should go!? huh? He's ready for me to start on the wedding pics. And maybe he wants some video game time too? But seriously, how sweet is that? He's happy for me to have some time to hang out with females (unless it's a male scrapbooking club, but I would be a bit suspicious of such a thing). So anyway, I printed off some pictures (which took an hour longer than it should have at CVS - very annoying!) and started getting my stuff together just in case it worked out to go. I sent the lady an e-mail and she didn't answer till this morning. So I talked to her on the phone this morning and she said that they moved it to her place since there weren't many people, so that makes it even better! Less people, still all the "free" stuff and being fed and such. And it's cheaper! whoooo hoooo!! She sounded super nice on the phone. Hopefully it's not a dark and freaky cult waiting to lure me into their web of deceit and wickedness upon my arrival. probably not. So I'm going right after work and then spending all day tomorrow there as well. yeay!

I've been wanting to post pics as well, but our computer has been having so many issues that my flash drive even got a virus. So for now I don't want to be putting picture containing devices in the computer. It is going to be worked on shortly I believe. I guess that's all for now. Hope you all are well and have a fabulous weekend!

5 comments:

shaunjoy said...

We'll all hope that it's not a male scrapbooking club. ;) Sounds fun!

Robyn said...

Well, congratulations on meeting your first client! :-) How exciting! And you could make your own naan too, although I must confess, that even though mine is very tasty, it is very different than the real stuff! Hope you have fun at the scrapping thing, and yes, we'll hope it's not a male club. ha ha You make me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Yes Rachel, you make me laugh. Lots. I really laughed (out loud) abt the whole info gathering from the next table on your last date. Hehehe. Wow. Can you send me a business card? I'd scrapbbook it if I ever had time. Have fun this weekend. I'm proud of you for going....and for doing your wedding pics. Mine still aren't done. Neither are Arthur's. Maybe once all our kids are grown adn gone?

Rhonda said...

i'm still imagining you bursting into flames and dave not noticing. :D i don't wish that would happen to you, but it makes a very entertaining mental picture to think of it in a cartoonish sort of way. and dave studies on... :D

have fun scrapbooking and let us know how it goes!

Jenni said...

there's nothing left to say, and all of you are very funny! i can't believe i didn't read all of this post until this morning so i didn't know about the scrapbooking weekend. how exciting! i hope you got lots done!