Saturday, February 21, 2009

Still around....

Life has felt either very boring lately or if there was excitement, I didn't feel like blogging about it. Ah well, I shall give you some random tid bits of what is going on around here in no particular order of importance:

* In our little luxury condo, the florescent lights in the laundry room have been burned out for quite awhile. Dave has been the one to carry the laundry over there and get it going and switch then I would fold and such. Invariably, it's been evening till we get around to doing it, which means it's pitch black in there. So he always unplugs a lamp from our apartment, throws it on top of the clothes, and goes to stick the laundry in. Then he unplugs one of the washing machines and plugs in the lamp so he can see to do the laundry. Maybe that's a very boring tid bit, but I find it so funny and annoying at the same time. HELLLLOOOO!! (He probably finds it more annoying than I do. haha)

* Dave had a crazy busy week last week with school. Now he has 3 days off for Mardi Gras. So we are looking at a 5 day weekend! WHOOO HOOO!!!! I got the house all spic and span yesterday so we wouldn't have to worry about that this weekend and could just enjoy it.

* Speaking of Mardi Gras, we went to a parade here in town last night. It was fun - we met some really chatty folks. It was way too much standing and walking for my liking, but it was good to be out and about. There were 4 girls who looked to be about 11 - 12 standing in front of us. Oh my! Girls that age are just scary, that's all I have to say about that. And since screaming, jumping up and down, and trying to get things thrown at me isn't really my style, I got hit on the head multiple times with flying beads and plastic cups. It was fun, but plenty of Mardi Gras celebrations for the 2 of us.

* The weather is so absolutely gorgeous here right now. We are both very sad that we can't go biking together right now. Even walking isn't that pleasant, so it's hard to be out and enjoying it (I can walk fine, but the dumb shoe they want me to wear is like walking on a cement shoe). I'm bracing myself and trying not to think about June and July when it will be way too hot to ride bike. = (

* I have a job offer on the table that I'm about 98% sure I'm going to take. I'll tell you about it when I actually have the job. = )

* Dave and I watched "The Great Debaters" last Friday night. We both really liked it and would recommend it for grown ups out there who are looking for a good movie. It's clean and all, but I wouldn't show it to your kids unless you want them disturbed and want to answer questions about lynchings and things like that. It's a true story though and we thought it was worth watching.

* Do you want to hear about our Valentines Day? So many have been writing about the fun fabulous days they had. I'll try to give you the very short version so as not to bore you to tears and such. I had such high expectations for this day. I was going to make a fabulous dinner for my babycakes. This is, after all, the first v.day that we've actually been in the same state. So, I would get lots of work done ahead of time, then I would do some work in the afternoon, we would watch some sweet, sappy movie, I would decorate the table in an absolutely beautiful way, we would have a nice leisurely lateish dinner, the day would be laid back and fun and relaxing... Ahhhh, it's nice to dream. Here's reality. We slept in, had an um... "discussion" which required some time, but we were able to salvage the day at that point and move on. I was feeling pretty gross on this day - SO tired, just had no energy and felt bla. And I hadn't started enough ahead of time, so there was all this work to do. Dave was feeling bad that he hadn't put enough thought into the day, so in order to appease his aching conscience (I'm always thinkin of him you know) I graciously suggested that he could help me with supper, if it would help him feel better. So away we chopped and mixed and stirred and what not. It was taking FOREVER! My feet were killing me, both the broken and non-broken ones, I was so tired, had no energy, and had the emotional fortitude of a 3 year old. All day things kept going wrong and I would just about loose it. Dumb little things, like I would spill and drop things and make a mess and it would feel like the end of the world as we know it. I was trying to get everything prepared so we would still have time to watch our sweet romantic movie before supper. Well, like I said, it was taking forever, Dave eventually petered out and fell asleep, and then, the last straw - I was trying to make this desert and it, what I would call flopped, although Dave insisted it tasted wonderfully. But it was the consistency of sludge. That did it. I'll spare you the details, but the mother of all meltdowns ensued. I mean, what in the world is my problem? It's not like I have a lot on my plate right now, and I can't even pull together a nice supper? Dave woke up and wondered what to do with me and rest of the evening. Well, once I could summon the strength, we managed to finish supper and the table was somewhat pretty, just not as pretty as I had hoped. So we ate supper and weren't done until after 9. About the sweet romantic movie, Dave was stuck on this old Cary Grant movie we had gotten from the library. I asked if it was sweet and romantic and he said, "Well, they get married at the end!" (BAD BAD SIGN!!) So we proceeded to watched a movie of deranged family members with sweet little old ladies murdering people and storing them in the basement. But it didn't matter because I was SOUND asleep by 9:30 and didn't really wake up till after midnight when Dave was doing dishes like a nice husband. I had slept so long and hard that I couldn't sleep when I went to bed, so I got up and watched Pinky and the Brain and old game shows till around 3. Thus concludes our wonderful, perfect, sweet valentines day. Next year, we're going OUT!

* The above bullet point was going to be short. oops.

* Here's some random quotes for you.

D: (smelling the OLD jar of jam, always concerned about pinching pennies) It doesn't smell TOOOO bad, I guess I could have some....
R: (Who quit eating the jam months ago) We can BUY more JAM! It's not THAT expensive! It's way cheaper than food poisoning! (okay, so it hit us funny at the time)


In reference to the less than desirable desert that made one of us cry a lot, (said very cheerfully) "A surprise is something you got and didn't know you wanted!"

"Yeah, sometimes, unless it's brain cancer or something like that!" (Just trying to keep it real)

* I have a bad habit of taking showers that are way too hot and then feeling like I'm going to pass out afterwards. But it's so nice in the moment that I find it hard to make the water cooler. Anyone else? no?

* In reference to the aforementioned job, I'm finding it so ironic right now, how we have to get jobs to pay off this education we got in order to get a job that would pay off the education that would allow us to get a job that would pay off the education that we needed to get a job that would ... well anyway... you get the idea. It seems like such a funny cycle to me right now. I am glad I went to school, but it's just odd. Then once you get the job you need/want, you are excited to have money, but are too busy working all the time to have time to actually do anything fun with the money, other than paying off the .... I won't start.

* This might be the end of this bulleted message.

* I'll try to post some pictures soon.

* I hope you're all having a fabulous weekend.

* This weekend is MUCH better than the last one for me, so far anyway.

* good bye and God bless

8 comments:

shaunjoy said...

Yeah, valentine's day...I don't make too many lovely plans because they never work out. And I get too stressed. And fancy food Always flops. No matter what day it is.

We spent our v-day doing various menial chores around the house and had teenagers over for the evening. Be still my beating heart.

(just for the record, we do have nice evenings together...but v-day usually doesn't get much recognition...and that's okay)

Sabrina said...

Way too many times I've had very high expectations for a date or special evening with Jeremy and for whatever reason things didn't turn out that way. For some reason my emotions seem to get the best of me and I end up in a bad mood. Great date, Babe. Don't give up!

Rhonda said...

as i said when we were chatting, i think your valentine's days will get better with time. :) maybe less ambitious, but better. we're still hammering out a few details and expectations each year, but after 15!! valentine's days together, i think we're getting the hang of it. (i guess we didn't spend each of those in the same place, but most of them)

ribbit98 said...

I don't even know you very well, just kind've secondhandedly through others, and you probably feel the same way about me. But I absolutely love reading your blog! There's something really down-to-earth and comical about the things you say! Your first Valentine's Day was so typical it was almost predictable! I'm quite certain it will get better with time! In the meantime, keep the blog entries coming! ~SH from SL

Jenni said...

hehe. thanks. i'm pretty brain-dead right now, but i liked your post. more later...

Anonymous said...

Your blahs and mood swings and tiredness make me think of some people I know when they're pregnant...

Just thought I'd be encouraging.
=)

Rhonda said...

LOL at Kendra! :D

Robyn said...

Yea!!!!!! for a 5 day weekend with hubs.
Hope it's great.