Wednesday, February 11, 2009

25 things....

So, there's this thing that's all the rage right now on facebook - writing down 25 random facts about yourself and tagging others to do the same. I was tagged apparently, but got mad at facebook because it was being really obnoxious, so I thought I'd do it here instead for you my most faithful and true friends. Or something. So I've been meaning to do it forever, but for some reason, blogging has just seemed like more of a chore than a delight lately. But oh well, I shall persevere and get it done and then I can cross it off my list which will be delightful, even if the actual blogging is not. I shall pepper this with current events around here, since 25 is a crazy high number. Okay, it's late, I'll try....

1) I love lists. I love crossing things off lists.

2) I HATE mice and bugs.

3) Following that theme, today one of my worse fears was nearly realized. I'm embarrassed to admit that I often fear that some dangerous creature is lurking in the toilet and well, yeah.... so anyway, today I went into the bathroom with the intention of using the facilities. All of a sudden I heard something SWIMMING. I looked in the toilet and nearly collapsed in a heap right on the spot. The THING resembled THIS but was way way way bigger than any of these pictures. I ran for the bug killer and sprayed nearly a half gallon in the water and flushed him away. He had very demon like qualities about him. I then sprayed the other toilet and then the entire infected bathroom just for good measure. Then I sat on the couch and waited for Dave to get home. I know all day tomorrow I will be tortured with the images in my mind.

4) I have been married a half year as of yesterday.

5) Last Friday I went back to the doctor and he said I could walk on my foot. (Good thing since I already had been) but he also told me I shouldn't drive for another month. I don't think I'm going to listen, but we'll see.

6) Open bottles in showers drive me crazy. Even when I'm a guest in some one's home, I close them. I have to because they ask me to. Actually, they demand that I do.

7) I tend to always revert to blog colors that are some combination of blue and red. I was determined to find something different this time, so these might be here for awhile. What do you think?

8) One time myself and some friends laid down in the middle of the street, right outside the waterfront restaurant. good old Red Lake!

9) A week ago today I gave my husband a haircut in a hurry right before he left for school. We HIGHLY discourage this practice. = ( Thankfully, hair grows!!

10) One day last week, Dave and I ate grilled PB and honey for supper. It was yummy. I had never had that, only grilled PB and jelly because Rhonda told me to.

11) I enjoy vacuuming and folding laundry. The rest, not so much.

12) At a young age, I had a fairly over-developed conscience. I would feel very guilty about things, large and small.

13) Once when I was at a friend's house, we were goofing around and I very meanly sprayed her older sister with the sprinkler I was holding and got her all wet. Her mom came out and thought my friend had done it and told her to apologize. She said she didn't do it. I felt guilty about this for YEARS. I think I might be over it now. I wonder if any of them remember that story....

14) When I was young, I got a big kick out of telling adults who didn't know our family well, that I have brothers that are 5 months apart. When they would tell me that's not possible, I would emphatically state.... UH HUH!! UH HUH!!!!

15) There is a chance I was slightly obnoxious as a child.

16) I also got a big kick out of telling people that there was a guy at my church who was my "step-dad, step-mom's, first husband's, brother's adopted son." (Refer to # 15.) But I learned it from my brother.

17) While we're on the topic, also when I was young, I was plagued with questions such as, "How in the world do the stop lights just know when the cars are going to start going and then change?" and "Why can't you just write checks to yourself to keep doubling your money until you're a millionaire?"

18) I have terrible reading comprehension and often read the same thing several times before I absorb it. Conversely, I have always enjoyed writing. This got to be a very odd combination in college when I would write things and then read them and not be able to figure out the deep concepts I had just written. This really did happen once. I'm not sure if it was a sign of superior writing ability though.

19) There is a trend in my family of the women marring younger guys. Of my 6 sibs, this is the case with all but one of them. I kept the trend alive by finding someone one day younger than myself.

20) Tonight I watched a lady win a million bucks on Millionaire and all her life lines were gone by the 16,000 question. It was FUN! It was a run-run though, so not quite as cool.

21) Social injustice and injustice in general really bothers me. There are so many different opinions about what actually constitutes these things though... hmmmmm......

22) I've been to Canada, the US, Russia, Madagascar, Israel, the Netherlands, Belgium, and some random airports. I want to go somewhere else now - like maybe tour Europe and visit Israel again, then swing down to Madagascar again, then go to Australia and New Zealand. If I would save 5 bucks a week, I could maybe go in 3089.

23) I get situational insomnia in the worst sort of way. Thankfully, I think I've been able to make up for most of the sleep I lost while I was engaged.

24) I have been under the surgeons knife 3 times.

25) We pause for great excitement for making it to the end. I hope I have not bored you to tears. And finally, here's my last fun fact: I have CDO. It's sort of like OCD, but with the letters in alphabetical order, AS THEY SHOULD BE! (okay, that's not even remotely original with me. I found it very amusing though and wanted to share.)

26) Oh, I have one more. I have this odd loyalty to the "first" of something. It's hard to explain. Like in Warsaw, we lived really close to a Walgreens and we used to hang out there a lot and knew most of the workers (not by name, but ya know). Now, it's hard for me to go to CVS. I can do it, I just don't prefer it. I feel like I'm being disloyal. And it's like that with the first of anything I see, use, read, watch, whatever - I get stuck on that one thing just because it came first and have a hard time switching. I don't know how odd this is for sure.

15 comments:

Rhonda said...

oh where should i start commenting? so much potential...i think i'll have to come back. :)

Sabrina said...

Very fun to read indeed. I've been tagged on facebook too, but since facbook confuses my mind so much maybe I'll just do it on blog spot.

Anonymous said...

yes, do Sabrina then the elderly can benifit also?!
Twila H.

Anonymous said...

It's been so long since I've had a chance to read your blog postings....glad to hear your foot is getting better - PLEASE LISTEN TO THE DR & DON'T DRIVE! I loved reading your 26 interesting facts - not sure I could come up with that many! The street in front of the Waterfront eh? That can't be to long ago....
I MISS YOU!

Debbie

Jenni said...

hoo boy, i feel like rhonda...

3) i looked at the pictures of earwigs and one of them was a human ear with a little wig on top. laughed myself silly!

7) i like red and blue. and brown.

11) we'd make a good pair. i don't like those two things much.

13) which friends?? do tell!!!!!

15) um, well, let's move along.

26) yes, odd, i think!!

Anonymous said...

1. I am with you on that one.

7. It looks good!

10. I feel powerful. But forgetful, too, since I don’t remember telling you to do that. Hey, Rachel, come visit me!

13. Who was it? I’m very curious!
(It wasn’t me, was it? If it was, I’m really forgetful...)

14. and 15. LOL

26. Oh, you mean things like Blogger? :D hee hee

Anonymous said...

hang on just a sec...you used to hang out at walgreens??? for real? can you please tell me, an ignorant foreigner, what there is to do at walgreens?

rachelslab said...

Debbie - it has been awhile! = ( The road incident was ages ago - I was a dumb teenager. = )

Jenni - Brown usually makes it on the blog as well. Forgot about that one. And see below...

Rhonda - (heavy sigh...) Yes, it was you. I remember it like it was yesterday - you running from the water and then your mom coming out of the house. Oh the terror of it all. Shudder. I think I maybe apolagized a couple years later. I should have right on the spot and saved myself all the grief.

You told me about you guys having grilled PB and J in Israel.

Yes, blogger definitely falls into that category. And there's a lot of other things too that come up but I can't remember a lot of examples at the moment. Dave is sort of the same way - weird, huh?

Ahhhhhhhhh.... WALGREENS!! First there's all the perusing about to do, then there's trying on sunglasses, buying cheap pajama pants, visiting with the workers, doing pictures and then waiting for them, reading cards, reading magazines, sniffing and choosing cologne for your boyfriend, having the overly helpful and chatty worker play with your hair and recommend styling products (this DID really happen - it was very odd, but enjoyable in a sense)... the list goes on and on.... I love Walgreens.... happy sigh. Although there is a CVS close to our place and it's pretty huge so I do like going there, even though the people aren't as nice as the warsaw people, and I just deal with the guilt.

elise said...

You're so amusing!

Rhonda said...

my word! i had no idea it was me that you were so cruel to. :D i only guessed that it was me because i couldn't think of too many of your friends that had older sisters. :) have no fear, i hold no grudge. i don't even remember it in the least.

well! now i wish i had a walgreens nearby. i had no idea that they are the source of such fun. no idea at all.

rachelslab said...

I'm wondering if your mom and sister remember it. I really at the time wasn't trying to be mean, I was more just not thinking and goofing around. But clearly not smart.

Thanks for all your comments. At least the number looks impressive, even though over half of them are from the 2 of us...

Robyn said...

This was too funny. I read it a couple days ago and couldn't think where to begin commenting. I just laughed and laughed. I'm glad to know you so that I can hear you saying all this in my mind and it just cracks me up. 'nuff said.

Robyn said...

P.S. I laid on the street with you, did I not? Your memory is better than mine.

rachelslab said...

Robyn - you were definitely on the street too - I know there were a couple others but I don't remember who they were.

Sabrina said...

please don't tell me that you lived at Walgreens, but did not take part in their wonderful free after rebate program? I am in love with that store! CVS is pretty good too, but not as great as Walgreens. :) Are you still around???