Monday, July 16, 2007

Baked Mayonaise

Yesterday I wanted to use up some of the rotten food in the fridge and I suddenly remember why I never bake. What a waste of time, energy, brain power, and dishes! (sorry Nisly's, I mean no disrespect) The rotten food was apples - not really rotten, but just not appealing anymore. So I thought - hummm... apple cake sounds good. So I found a recipe I thought looked good. The first ingredient - salad oil. For reasons yet undetermined, I guess I was thinking salad dressing rather than vegetable oil. (WHY CAN'T THEY JUST SAY VEGETABLE OIL, ANYWAY??) I know some chocolate cakes call for mayo so I dumped in an exorbitant amount, and then started to second guess myself. I think in the aforementioned cases, the choc. tends to override the taste of the mayo. In this case, it was like baking a fruit salad. The batter just reeked of mayo. So I baked it and, well, it's not horrible (due to all the sugar and butter you drench it in after baking), but I'm thinking it won't be disappearing overly fast either. sigh. The apple cookies turned out better, but still not worth all that hassle. And while we're on the subject of food, yesterday I also bought the very first watermelon I think I've ever purchased. I love watermelon, but have never bought one of my own volition. Turns out I'm not very good at it. I just chopped the whole thing up and put it in the freezer. It was mediocre as well. And one more thing - I had organic peanut butter cereal and half a turkey sangwich for supper and I was just wondering if anyone else could say they've had that for supper recently?

10 comments:

elise said...

Rachel, you crack me up! I'm sitting here in the dark while both my guys are fast a sleep and I'm laughing pretty loud! goodnight!

Anonymous said...

very funny!!! i wish we lived closer together, then i would bake while you babysit my kids and french-braid their hair. :D

Robyn said...

That's just sick! Yeah, too bad we don't live closer and then we could get together and I could give you some real recipes. :-) And you could borrow my non-organic Reese's pb cereal when you're hungry. Oh, and we could bake choc cream cheese cupcakes. I have an amazing recipe of pb icing for you. I'll try and post it soon.

Jenni said...

frozen watermelon? are you sure? haven't heard of that one before. :-) makes me want to come feed you some decent food!

Sabrina said...

You need to write a book about all your experiences, but not a cookbook. :)

Anonymous said...

I bought my first watermelon this last week too, and although I knocked on it like I've seen all watermelon-pickers do, I must not have heard the right sound because it was a very big disappointment. : ( And no, you won't catch me eating that kind of grub any time soon. Last night it was a pita bread with tzaziki (however you spell it) sauce, a couple grapes, and a big piece of chocolate cake with caramel frosting and milk.

Never fear, folks-who-want-Rachel-to-eat-real-food - Conservative Mennonite Conference is in a few weeks, and then Rachel and I will both eat GOOD. : ) Hmm...maybe we'll have to walk from Warsaw to Goshen one day to lessen the side effects of all the good food.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Jenni - frozen watermelon?

Please tell me where you got the idea to freeze it!

Anonymous said...

time, energy, brain power and dishes? Is that what you apologized for? j.k.:):) you are so funny, Rachel. At first I wondered if you were inferring that we always cooked up rotten food.... I think we need to start our own colony.

Anonymous said...

I hate buying watermelon -- they need to sell audio tapes of someone thunking a ripe melon so I know what it's supposed to sound like. Otherwise I just bang on a whole bunch and end up buying the prettiest one.

lisa said...

so how was the frozen watermelon?!!! and isn't it funny that as many people who posted on your blog...that noone had any good advice on how to pick out a good watermelon!!! I have no idea either because I've only bought one this year and it had absolutely no taste!!! by the way...i did finally blog!! :-)