Sunday, July 29, 2007

Asian Torture

I don't care that this post is very girly - the world needs to know! My advice to you: if you stop by a little shop in the mall and see sweet little smiling Asian women holding little spools of innocent looking white tread - cover your eyes and RUN for the door!! (Okay, so that might not be the smartest plan...) So my friend and I were at the mall in Ft. Wayne yesterday and passed by this little shop that specialized in an alternative to waxing - unfortunately I can't remember the name of the procedure (but I can think of many slogans - "You only thought you knew what pain was!" "Men - be very very glad!" "An alternative to waxing - not really a less painful one, okay an excruciating one," "Cheer up - what doesn't kill ya will make ya stronger." I could go on and on). But anyway, an alternative to waxing that somehow, and I still have no clue how, they use tread and roll it across the very sensitive skin surrounding the eye area. In retrospect, I don't really remember reading anything that stated why this method was any better than waxing. And it didn't mention anything about being painless. But on a whim, we both decided to try it. So we both take our seats in the chairs of pain and the sweet little women turn into little Hittlerettes. Ohhhhhh myyyyyyy!! So I think the process is similar to waxing, only not nearly as quick. The thread slowly slides across your skin ripping out the hair one by one. I'm squirming around in my chair wincing and trying to not scream and the lady's saying, "HOLD YOUR EYE!!!! NO!! HOLD IT THIS WAY!!! No, let me show you!" So she's taking my hand and placing it where it's supposed to be and taking my other hand and placing it where it's supposed to be and I'm thinking gracious lady, I'm playing money for this, trying not to pass out, and then I need to HELP with the procedure???? What is wrong with this picture. No words of encouragement, no "Oops, sorry, you're bleeding, we're almost done." Nope, just "HOLD YOUR EYE, MY PRETTY!!" And from the seat next to me came the anguished gasps, "Are you dying over there?" "YES!" And, "So is this supposed to last longer than waxing?" But she was in too much pain to remember what the lady said. I most certainly hope so! We got our bright red, puffy, bleeding eyes out of there and vowed never to return. Now you're in the know.

6 comments:

Jenni said...

hoo boy! you know how to have fun, don't ya?? how do you always get into these scrapes? i think i'll just keep my slightly scruffy eyebrows just the way they are!! :-)

Sabrina said...

thanks for the warning, and the great story. :) Who knows, maybe the hair will never grow back.

Anonymous said...

Oh Rachel, I'd say I feel your pain but since I've only ever tried waxing....and that only once...I can't really relate. And besides, would I still be your friend if I confessed that I am still chuckling over rhe pictures this story brought To my imaginative mind? Hillarious! I think YOU should write a book. I'd sure buy one! =)

Robyn said...

Thank the good Lord it was only your eyebrows!!! Sheesh, that sounds bad. Thanks for the warning.

Melissa said...

yikes! my sister in law is moving to China, I will have to warn her about this one. Maybe this is why she didn't shave the last time she was there,mmm, I'll have to ask her.

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I totally needed a good laugh tonight. . .I had tears streaming down my face and my husband yelling from the other room, "Are you laughing or crying?" Thanks for a good story!