Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Something to say....

So, without beating around the bush... let's see, I finally have something to say. Several things actually. Ever since I have lived in my current house, it has struggled in the plumbing department. Usually this resulted in the basement flooding about twice a year. I'll spare you the gory details of that. But anyway, the plumber boys would always come out and temporarily fix it, but state that soon they would no longer be able to fix it without a major operation. Well, last Thursday, these prophetic words came to fulfillment. The boys worked on it for quite awhile and could not fix it. So, we've been without much water in the house since that time. I went with my roommate to visit her family on Friday and Saturday and have been hanging out at a friend's place quite a bit. It turns out that the boys have to bring in loads of huge equipment, tear up the entire front lawn, and the whole street will be without water while they are fixing it (tomorrow). We also heard that they were closing the street to through traffic and the ambulances would have to take an alternate route (we live on the same street as a hospital). Then we also heard that they might leave one lane open. What a huge ordeal. So now we are being put up in a hotel till it's over. This was going to be a fun little diversion from all the annoyances of not having water. Well, the indoor pool and hot tub are being renovated and we have yet to use the outdoor pool because both evenings there have been scary, tattoo infested guys sitting around - who wants to swim under those conditions? It's so odd though - it's like being out of town in your own town. Tonight we walked across the street to the gas station to pick up a few things... if I wasn't going to work every day, I'd feel like I was on vacation. Tonight we had a Healthy Families picnic so it was a crazy long and tiring day. We had so many families - more than we were expecting showed up so we were sort of scrambling. So anyway, as a side note, we have eaten 2ce at the restaurant in the motel and have had the most interesting waiter I think I have ever encountered. But to try to describe it would be difficult. Fun times. Okay, I'm hoping to get some pictures of all the madness tomorrow and maybe I can post some of them in the not to distant future. ttfn

12 comments:

Rhonda said...

wow. your life does not lack adventure, i would say. :) good call on not swimming with scary guys! hope it all gets sorted out soon and that you can go home before the fun of staying in a hotel wears off. anyway, i'm rambling, so i'll go now, but thanks for the info. :D

Rhonda said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO RACHEL!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!

Remember last year??

Miss you!

Anonymous said...

yes and AMEN to the Happy Birthday, Dear Rachel, Happy Birthday to YOU!! That's actually why I came on to say that, but Rhonda beat me.

Anonymous said...

A Happy Birthday to YOOOUUUU!!! What are you 23 now. ;-)

lisa said...

I take it that it's your birthday!!! look on the bright side of life....if you make yourself a cake...you won't have to wash the dishes since you have no water!!!! :-) Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Rachel! And since you're not even allowed to hide out in your house, just what are you doing to celebrate? Hope you've got friends as fun and happy as all of us around you to make your day really memorable. =)

Sabrina said...

You're pipes are fine. What really happened is all of us bloggers got together and decided to put you up in a hotel as a birthday present! Enjoy! :) Happy Birthday!

Jenni said...

Me too! Me too! I want to say Happy Birthday too!!! (although I did sing to you earlier today!!) :-) No, Sheldon, I'm sure she's 25 already!

Heather said...

yeah, happy birthday from me too! I actually forgot yesterday, i was having too much fun getting lost in Brussels! (or not) I don't want to bore you with all the details here, but I'll try to write even half as interestingly as you on my blog about my adventures the last two days.
Anyway, hope your day was great!You wanna do high tea again?

Anonymous said...

Hey Rachel, Just wanted to say Happy Birthday! When are you going to come see me?

Anonymous said...

i remembered it was your birthday yesterday when i saw the date (and for some reason i was kinda proud of myself), but i guess it doesn't do much good if i didn't do anything about it. anyway, happy late birthday...watch your mailbox for a card with a fat wad of cash in it. just watch, ok?

rachelslab said...

Thanks for all the birthday greetings! Um, Karla, it hasn't come yet. = (

Rita - we still need to the the traditional birthday coffee. Happy birthday to you too!

yeah, last year was hard to beat, that's for sure.

Sabrina - you will be getting a very very large bill in the mail... = )

LaRonda - are you guys coming to conference?