Friday, March 09, 2007

A few tips from Hilda the Homemaker


The other day I was making soup. I've made it before and it was turning out quite well. The idea was soup - I wanted chicken soup. Last time I but barley in it and it was good, but I thought I'd mix it up a bit (proverbially) and use some rice this time. A word to the wise... no a word to the airheads in the kitchen - the wise already know this... man, does that stuff swell to approximately 40 times its size!! I knew this in theory, but I dumped some in and it didn't seem like much, so I dumped some more in. Well, my lovely chicken and veggie soup turned into an hugenormous pot of rice with a few vegetables lodged here and there. (The picture doesn't really do it justice and does not capture how much rice I have to eat!) It tastes fine, but there's nothing soupy about it and I'm gong to be eating rice muck for weeks. But to redeem myself in the housekeeping department, last night I cleaned like a (to quote Jenni) squirrel on a caffeine IV. Oh my - it's probably some deep seated pride in my life that makes me want to give you an account of everything I accomplished, but I'm not 100% sure yet, so I'm going to do it quickly. Last night I swept and mopped the kitchen, mopped the computer room, thoroughly cleaned the bathroom, mopped the (rather ample) living room/dining room, vacuumed the back room, and vacuumed and mopped my room (not quite as thoroughly). I hope I didn't forget anything. And all this in under 2 hours I believe, after working all day and then working out after that. It was like I was in overdrive or something - I'm usually not that fast. So I was pleased with that. Tonight I'm not cleaning! Not at all... In fact, I'm going to not do anything this weekend but relax and hang out with the Ohio Bethany who's coming to see me. I'm looking forward to it - this week has been crazy. Well, hastalawagoamigos...

13 comments:

Rhonda said...

that actually looks so good to me and I wish i could come help you eat it. :) and, can you loan me your caffiene iv? i really could use it lately!

Robyn said...

Wanna come over? My floors haven't been cleaned in awhile. Oh yeah, we could visit too!Please?

Anonymous said...

Rachel,
This is the first time for me to visit your blog site. Good to hear from you and sounds like you keep active! My floors could also use a good mopping, as I'm having an Epicure (food tasting) party here on Friday, and my mop is broken. Would love to see you again, it's been a long... time!
Love, Tammy Bergen

Jenni said...

hi sweetie pie! i'm just happy you posted so i don't have to look at the picture of you with the poker chips all the time. it made my heart so heavy.

way to go with the cleaning. i'm really impressed and i'd like to get in line behind robyn and tammy and have you come do my floors. never mind getting in line. i'd like to push to the head of the line. :-)

we had lots of fun scrap-booking, although it would've been better, of course with you, rhonda and bethany there!!!! i'll post soon. i have a few pages i'm really proud of...

oh, and my heart's really not heavy. hahahahaha!

Anonymous said...

I'm home, in case you were wondering. Thanks for all the fun and laughter this weekend. Sounds like we weren't nearly as productive as the scrap-booking divas...surprise, surprise.

I'm dreading the comments after your next post... ; )

Jenni said...

what next post?? don't keep us in suspense!

Heather said...

Hey Rachel and Bethany, wish I could have joined your weekend! You do still remember when I was there ages ago and our progressive dinner to Mexican restaurants?
I especially remember my wonderful jetlag and dozing off and being rudely awoken by the two of you torturing me! (tickling, Chinese water torture...lots of fun)

Anonymous said...

If my boys bring their poker chips to the Slaubaugh family reunion are you gonna play with them? boy, will they think this is a fun reunion if you do!!! Brent and his brothers play also!!! wait...we might give great grandma a heart attack....maybe we better rethink this!!! ha! ha!

way to go cleaning your house....I cleaned (well...me and my partner in crime) have cleaned 8 houses so far this week! (we usually clean 3 every day)....so be thankful for dat education you got and that ya ain't havin' to clean houses for a livin'!!! I'm taking a sabatical on cleaning my own house at the moment because I have a queen size quilt in my family room I want to get done with and put on my bed. I should take a picture of it and put it on my blog...but have no idea how to do such a thing!!!

lisa

Anonymous said...

Is it okay if I leave comments to Heather here, Rach, since I can't on her blog? Too bad - I'm just gonna. : )

Yup, Heather, we actually talked about the progressive Mexican dinner this weekend. According to Rachel, the flirtatious waiters are still there. : ) Also, you were not rudely awoken - we simply couldn't wake you up at all! I have never in my life seen anyone so dead to the world - except for sick people in the hospital maybe. But yes, we did TRY those methods, but they were positively ineffectual.

Heather said...

Oh, I forgot about the cute waiters! I remember more the food! :)

by the way, why can't you comment on my blog?

Anonymous said...

Another message for Heather - don't shoot me! Heather, your blog doesn't allow anyone without a blog to comment so that's why I can't. : )

Jenni said...

Hey, your fans are clamoring for an update! Well, I am, anyway!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jenni!!