Monday, March 19, 2007

Geneology, ancestory and the like

So, here's the long awaited post. I know you've been on pins and needles awaiting this day with baited breath. I've been meaning to post for over a week now but life was just nutty. So anyway, I'll try to give it a shot now. Last weekend my friend Bethany came to visit from Ohio. We had a grand old time hanging out and relaxing and chatting and getting all caught up. One fun little activity we did - and if you're Mennonite you appreciate this a bit more probably - there's this website where you can enter names of people (Mennonites) you know and it will figure out how you are related. And of course everyone is related somehow. Bethany and I are 6th cousins and I think I'm at least 3rd, 4th, or 5th (6th on occasion) cousins with all my growing up friends. But then you can really have fun with it and find out things such as my mom was 6th cousins with her step-sons so I am 7th cousins with my nieces and nephews, and an acquaintance I'm familiar with married her second cousin once removed, making her 3rd cousins with her grandchildren. And I'm also 4th cousins once removed with my brother through marriage... How we don't all have horns is beyond me. Here's to branching out a bit before the gene pool becomes entirely murky.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

you are a crazy goofball!! and, of course, I want the web-site. maybe. maybe i just shouldn't go there! glad you and bethany had fun. don't worry about your maturity. i think it's probably way more fun to be goofy!!

Jenni said...

you are a crazy goofball!! and, of course, I want the web-site. maybe. maybe i just shouldn't go there! glad you and bethany had fun. don't worry about your maturity. i think it's probably way more fun to be goofy!!

shaunjoy said...

Looks like you had a fun weekend! Not sure if I should really try it (who knows what I'll discover) but you should post a link to the Menno site. Sounds frighteningly interesting.