Sunday, January 07, 2007

Because once again, I always listen to Rhonda...

2006 in Review
I know we're well into 2007, but I'm not done reflecting on 2006 yet - and someone told me to do this, so here it is...

1. What did you do in 2006 that you had never done before?
Flew to Madagascar, saw some of Europe, went to Glacier National Park, made homemade donuts (although it was really early and I don't remember much of it), graduated kolege, got a cell phone, tried to be a social worker... I'm sure there were others - it was a big year.

2.Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I doubt that I made any last year but I’m considering making some this year. (Ha ha ha ha - I just left Rhonda's answer on that one, cause it's true for me too.)

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I'm sure a bunch of my friends and family had babies.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Because I've had to think awhile, I'm really hoping no.

5. What countries did you visit? Madagascar, The Netherlands, Belgium (for the afternoon), France (does the airport count?), Canada.

6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
Oh I dunno... but maybe it could be hot and have lots of money (like an ATM in Arizona?)

7. What dates will remain etched in your memory and why?
I'm having trouble coming up with any specific dates - oh, here's some - first Saturday in May - graduated, June 6 - flew to Mad. Aug. 24 - new job, Nov. 27 - new job.

8. What's your biggest achievement of the year?
finishing school (HALLELUJAH!! I'm still in awe of Sundays free of writing papers.)

9. What was your biggest failure?
Getting lost every time I leave the house. Making 45 minute trips take 2.5 hours... (actually, I'm sure I failed in more serious ways...)

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing major - a persistent cough which felt like I was being strangled and caused tears to pour down my face. And biting the flesh in my mouth till it was bleeding and raw - you know how you bite it once then it puffs up and becomes so much easier to bite again, thus compounding the problem....)

11.What was the best thing you bought?
Cell phone is right up there, plane tickets (thanks to many generous donations)

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
All the wonderful friends and family who allowed me to go to Mad.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and disgusted?
My roommate who had the nerve to steal my memory card and card reader, put it in her coat pocket, and return it only after I had bought new ones! ARGG!

14. Where did most of your money go?
Down the drain. I don't understand how it happens... the usual I guess - food, clothes, rent, car, hitting deer, stuff like that...

15. What did you get really really excited about?
Going to Madagascar and The Netherlands, getting a cell phone (I feel as though I'm repeating myself an exorbitant amount here...) having friends come to visit (Bethany, MJ) and getting to see friends (LaRonda, Robyn, Karla K., Twila, Karla N., Kristi - I'm probably missing some)

16. What song will always remind you of 2006?
Maybe "Bad Day" - I like that song and rear ended someone because I was distracted by it one day... how ironic. And a bunch of others - I had a long commute in the spring and fall both and listened to the radio a lot.

17. Compared to this time last year are you? a)happier or sadder? happier (it's Sunday and I'm wasting time in cyberspace instead of writing a 30 page paper) b)fatter or thinner? shut up and stop asking such personal questions! c)richer or poorer? Richer (meaning I can pay rent this month)

18. What do you wish you had done more of?
Frolicking with the deer in the back yard. Meeting new people and getting involved in a small group.

19. What do you wish you had done less of?
Getting annoyed and worked up over small things.

20. How will you be spending New Year's Eve?
I predict that I will be in International Falls, hanging out with my brother and his family at their church party, getting giddy on the scotch and jello shooters.

21. Did you fall in love in 2006?
Nope.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Well, since I have a very limited selection and didn't watch much of anything - probably (I'm slightly embarrassed to admit it, but Karla will understand) American Idol, and House MD.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Hate is such a strong term...

24. What was the best book you read?
Safely Home by Randy Alcorn.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Well, it's like this - on the radio, most songs only stay popular for a couple months. So if you really like one, you better download it right away or you may never hear it again. However, during their 3 months of glory, you'll hear them about every 16 minutes.

26. What did you want and get?
A trip to Mad... a cell phone... (once again, what can I say... I don't think Rhonda repeated herself this much)... a diploma... a job... a different job... a necklace... flannel sheets (for so cheap)... fleece pants... fuzzy socks... gum... milk.... bugbites (don't be so literal - I mean those cracker things... they're really good)... a comforter that my aunt made... Madagascar Red tea... can I stop now?

27. What did you not want and not get?
Is this supposed to say "want and not get??" Because there are many things I didn't want and didn't get, such as a hole drilled through the head, being branded with hot irons, a house fire, mugged in a back alley .... things I wanted and didn't get - a new computer (mine sounds like a mixer or airplane getting ready for take off when you turn it on), a 2006, red, fully loaded, 5 speed Honda Civic for $5.00.

28. What was your favorite film this year?
Um, I didn't see a lot of the new releases, but I liked Firewall and Flight Plan.

29. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
I spent it in Madagascar with Matthew and Rhonda and their girls - if you have to have a birthday, that was a great way to do it.

30. What one thing would have made your year measurably more satisfying?
Graduating at the top of my class. Ha! Just threw that in to get a raise out of Jenni...

31. How would you describe your personal fashion in 2006?
Passable with a lot of outside assistance.

32. What kept you sane?
God, close friends and family, Prozac (just kidding), knowing the end of school was in sight and then finishing.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Um... I don't have any words... fancy? really? I don't think I had too many celerity obsessions this year... maybe I'm forgetting something.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
War and Peace and the like.

35. Who did you miss?
My family, although I got to see them quite a bit.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
Some really great new co-workers.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.
If you are going to turn up the car radio and sing loudly, keep a safe distance between you and the guy in front of you.

If you are going to bike 56 miles - train.

If you want to find something valuable that you've just lost, all you have to do is buy a replacement.

Oh, and here's a free tip - often credit card companies will drop those pesky late fees if you call and plead your case.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"I've been everywhere, man I've been everywhere, man Crossed the deserts bare, man I've breathed the mountain air, man Travel - I've had my share, man I've been everywhere." oh, and because I'm feeling old and nostalgic - "My, oh my Look how the time flies. Look how the world changes In the blink of an eye. My, oh my Look how the years have flown Turning around before you know it Up and gone. On that cheery note - it's been a pleasure chatting.

Oh and a couple more things - I know that the colors are hideous on the new blog - I'll try to fix it soon. I just decided to leave it for awhile to see if I can make you all crave hot dogs... or something.

Another thing - I locked my keys in my car TWICE this week!! What is my problem. I was getting a lot better at that, but seem to be regressing. As far as what's new around here, not a lot. Usually I get to feeling all blaa in January after the excitement of the holidays are over. But this time around I haven't minded so much. I sort of like things slowing down a bit. Work is going really well... last night a friend came over and we played the Settlers. It was fun, but not as fun for her I don't think because it takes awhile to catch on to the point that you can enjoy the game I think. But we had fun hanging out and pondering the deep meaning of life and existence. Maybe sometime I'll try to blog it all... This afternoon I finally watched "Walk the Line." Yes well, I found it very disturbing and depressing. I know it had a supposed happy ending, but it still didn't sit well with me. Okay, I'm going to go now so you can all get commenting. = )

16 comments:

Rhonda said...

i got stuck on the jello shooters and now that's all I can think about.

thanks for your cooperative spirit. it's a joy to work with you on these high-level documents.

Jenni said...

1) Yeah, bad colors!
2) I'll pass on the "top of the class" comment.
3) I came to see you and you forgot to mention that. I'll go cry in my corn flakes now.

Robyn said...

I laughed out loud at your "things you did not want and did not get" part. You crack me up, as always. I'm glad I got to see you too! :-)

Rhonda said...

the jello shooters. i can't get past the jello shooters.

rachelslab said...

Before Ernest gets impeached , the jello shooters - big big joke! I hope that helps, Rhonda.

Jenni, I'm so sorry - having you here for grad and the weekend was a HUGE highlight of 2006! It was a blast! I'm so so so so sorry. I'll make it up to you buy babyaitting your boys the week after you leave, okay?

Jenni said...

Okay, you're forgiven. :-) Yeah, I laughed out loud like Robyn did too, then I had to read for Caleb what was so funny. I don't think he got it...

Anonymous said...

Once again I'm sitting at my computer laughing at your blog!!! you really should write a book! :-) Are you going to the family reunion in July? Hope so!

Lisa

rachelslab said...

LISA??? REUNION??? WHEN?? WHERE???

Jenni said...

Oops. I was going to email and tell you... Minnesota, end of June. Marjo couldn't remember the exact dates. It's from Sat. noon to Monday. I'm hoping someone lets us know more details soon.

The template is better but the brown is still pretty, um, brown!

Anonymous said...

...moving past the jello shooters...and laughing as i go...

Anonymous said...

reunion! I have it on my calendar as the last day of June thru first monday in July....and that's what Marjo told me. but the other day we were double checking the dates and then she wasn't sure so she was going to check with Corrine I think...so I'll update you when she gets back to me!

and I'm really thinkin' you should tell us more about the jello shooters before this gets spread across the entire Slaubaugh reunion, or better yet, just bring some to the family reunion! :-)
lisa

rachelslab said...

Lisa - I'll for sure try to do that! Bring some shooters, that is. = )

Jenni - I happen to like brown!
= P The thing of it is... I was it's really tough picking your colors because all the different templates have different things you can change and not change and wanted to be able to change a lot. This one you can't change the brown so it's either that or Kermit green.

Sabrina said...

Rachel's blog -always a great read! Thanks. :)

I have the same word verification for this comment as I did on Robyn's blog. weird. and I just messed it up.

Anonymous said...

You're a funny girl, and I like you.

Anonymous said...

I don't think the new colors are so bad...your old template was the exact same as my brother-in-law's and sometimes I'd suddenly get confused about whose I was reading. "Rachel did what with who? ....ohhhhh...." :)

You sound very well-travelled, by the way...I'm quite jealous.

~ joy

Jenni said...

Hey, I updated, now you can too. :-) And, yes, I double-checked and it really does look brown. Sorry