Monday, December 04, 2006

It's a bit better now...

So, it turns out we can use the waterpark afterall... I found some friendly ladies to hang out with, went to Walmart (no, I did not drive), got some swimwear of sorts, and went down a freaky waterslide and sat in a hut tub. It's been quite enjoyable acutally. I guess that's all for now. Except this - in the last 2 weeks I've heard so much about baby's brains developing that it makes me think we should all have developmental delays (someone must have missed something important) ... but it's pretty interesting how all the connections work and how if you miss a window of opportunity, it might be gone forever. Like there was this woman who would have been a kid awhile back and was always different. She was treated like she had mental disabilites. But here the whole time she possessed normal intelligence, but was deaf. No one figured it out until she was 31 I believe. Then she got hearing aids and could hear. So this whole new world opened up for her. But the amazing thing was that although now she can hear, understand, and has a normal IQ and all that, she can't form coherant sentences and never will be able to! All because her language never developed during the right window of opportunity, so now those connections can never be made in her brain. How weird is that. Anyway, I'll leave now - go play Motzart to your babies...

7 comments:

Rhonda said...

glad to hear things are looking up. :) way to go with scaring me about my childrens' futures. i'll just go cry now...

just kidding.

Sabrina said...

What's a hut tub? :) What is the most important window? I think I looked through a few as a kid, but forgot to go through...

Jenni said...

Alrighty then, rachel, who has lots of words now? :-) thanks for the informative and "uplifting" posts. three cheers for sheldon.

what happens to your kids if they watch tv? because I know caleb and caitlyn watched movies when they were young and look how dumb they are!

do you have time to talk on the phone this week? I don't know if i do. you could call me sometime when your're free and i'll call you back. if you wanna.

love ya!

Anonymous said...

Maybe some of your dear friends and family should invest in a GPS tracker for your car. =) One of those gizmos where you program in where you want to go and it says, "Turn right here" and you supposedly don't get lost unless of course, the computerized gadget malfunctions, which likely would NEVER happen, ha ha.

Jenni said...

Hey, how about some new information?? :-)

Jenni said...

Okay, that's the pot calling the kettle black! :-) How about some new infomation from you too! We all want to hear about your cultured weekend!

Anonymous said...

OK Rachel here's a comment from me.

After reading this entry and the one below it, I think there is definitely a connection. It seems to me that during the say, ten years when you should have been paying attention when we drove somewhere, you were sleeping. Therefore, your brain didn't develop the ability to know where it was at when it was inside the confines of a moving vehicle. It just thinks, “Ah ha, time to shut of and go to sleep”. There’s nothing you can do about it now, you might as well just accept it. In fact, maybe you should embrace it. Offer to let your psycho colleagues do an in depth study on you.