Wednesday, February 06, 2013

my days.

So I've had a million posts running through my mind the last few months. It's crazy. I wanted to write about Jenni's visit. Before that I wanted to write about Heather being here for 3 months. Before that, I wanted to write about Jocelyn being born and life with 2 kids... and many things in between. Most recently I wanted to show you pictures of the beautiful canvases my sis did for me while she was here. Alas, NONE of these have made it to the actual screen. why you say? because I prioritize my time poorly and have days like the following. I was also going to write about my day last wed. but after I tell you about it, I think you'll understand why I didn't get it written down for your enjoyment. But here I am now to tell you about it - ok, as I best recall - Wednesday - the day I work all day towards getting out the door with both kids by sometime before 6 for our small group in the evening. The day started with all of us ladies sleeping in a little too late. Well, me anyway. I put together woman would have arisen and tended to her daily hygiene before the small ones arose, but today, I did not. How hard can it be, I'll just find a moment sometime when they're both sleeping or occupied to take a shower and such. So day started - I fed Jocelyn and she was laying on her change table, one of her favorite places to be. And I thought, man, I should really cut her nails, because she scratches herself so bad when they're not short. Before this I had only done them while she was sleeping, but in a lapse of mental judgement I started chipping away, until all of a sudden there was much high pitched wailing. Oh NO! Her poor thumb!!! I CHOPPED it! It bled and bled and bled and turned purple and the like. I felt awful. Sadly, it was also the thumb that she sucks to go to sleep. That's the ONLY thing she will take to go to sleep. I had socks on her hand and didnt' think it wise to let her suck a liter of blood out of her thumb to go to sleep. Around this time, Aleah was talking off her clothes to get in the bathtub (we're going to meet the public after all, time for our mid-week scrubbins) and she slipped and banged her face against the tub and got a bloody, fat lip. Finally she's in the tub, and I was feeding J with the hope that she would fall asleep enough to not need to suck her thumb to sleep. She was eating really well and dozing off and I then I heard it - the 2 year old making a horrible mess from the bathroom, dumping water all over the place in order to try to flood it. Breathing murderous threats under my breath, but not wanting to disturb the good eating that was going on, I tried to ignore it till I could go deal with it later. Put small child down, she immediately went to find her thumb to keep herself asleep and became furious that she couldn't suck it. Went to deal with the child and mess in the bathroom. youngest child will have none of the sleeping thing, so gave up and got her up. cleaned up bathroom somewhat, did normal day to day things that didn't include getting dressed or showered. Got a call late morning/early afternoon from our small group leader asking if I could bring food for tonight since the person who was going to is unable to. tonight. ok, I can do this. got ahold of dave to have him pick some things up on the way home from work. still wondering about fitting in that shower. Put toddler to bed and feed baby who again is eating well and drifting off to sleep. decide the thumb is surely healed up enough for her to suck it. can hear 2 year old goofing off in bedroom instead of sleeping, but again, don't want to disrupt the feeding so try to ignore it for awhile. baby with injured thumb takes a short nap, toddler takes none, hubs arrives home to find wife in a frantic mess of unshoweredness, at which point I take the goods he has brought, fly around the kitchen making food, fly through the shower, get myself ready to go out the door, feed baby, get 2 kids ready to go, make toddler some food to take along, we didn't even have time to eat supper and went through a drive through on the way home from small group. And we arrived late, with the food. Thankfully it was a very small group so no one cared at all. Arrived home with 2 extremely tired kids, an extremely messy kitchen/house, piles of dishes that needed to be done, but being too exhausted to care. Instead I wondered to my exhausted self... how does this happen?? Why can't I get done the most basic of things? I should have put supper in the crock pot in the morning, I should have gotten up earlier, I shouldn't have chopped off the end of my baby's thumb, etc. etc etc. And that was my day. By the end of the day life seemed tragic, but thankfully, we haven't had any quite that bad since then. It's another Wednesday and so far has gone much better. All that to say, I hope to SOON have pictures to post of canvases and also a new lil crafty project I'm working on. until then, you now where I am - curled up in a fetal position hiding from my kids.

5 comments:

Bethany said...

It seems I'm hearing stories like this more and more from my friends with small kids. My days are obviously quite different, but still - I know you're not alone in this battle for sanity. :) You're a good mom, even if you don't get out of your pj's until late in the day!

Kendra said...

Ah Rachel, you don't leave much hope for a gal who has a hard time squeezing in a shower with just one baby to tend. =(

Jenni said...

Um, yeah. I have no words, except I'm sorry! And glad every day isn't like that! Hang in there!

LaRonda said...

What can I say, but keep up the good work. At least you are lovin those girls even if you didn't get that shower. Look forward to meeting that sweet little girl with the cut off thumb.

Alicia Yoder said...

oh Rachel....I understand!! You can do this!!!