Monday, September 05, 2011

Pretending to be a crafty mom...

(sputter sputter sputter choke cough....) So anyway, before I left Baton Rouge, one of my friends had the coolest ever crayons for toddlers. They have a big fat end and then a big point so their chubby lil paws can hold on to the end. And they're really short. Anyway, I thought it'd be fun to get something like that but couldn't find any. I've also randomly seen things online about making your own crayons by melting your old ones. So anyway, that's cheap, I thought I'd give that a whirl. I couldn't find many crayons around here so I bought some. brand new ones. Which seemed scandalous since I was going to rip them all up. But they were 40 cents so I got over it. or maybe 80. And THEN, I got it home and found this....

ha - they were all broken. T'would be heart-breaking if you actually wanted to use them as purchased, but in my particular case, a cause for celebration.
I did not anticipate how long it would take to unwrap all those suckers. I had some here that I added as well. Probably around 48 or so of them. At the end I discovered a handy little trick - rip into them in the middle and tear it apart all the way around. Then slide the 2 ends off. viola! I wish I had captured that on film, but I did not.

I wanted to find something pointy to use to bake but found nothing. or nothing cheap. But at the store I found these crazy adorable animal shapes baking pans that would have made really cute crayons (I feel 2 year old party favors coming over me...). But again, not cheap. So I just used the mini muffin tins I had.
Baked them at around 230 for around 15 minutes. They came out looking like this. They hardened. I tried to get them out and paniced that I had ruined my pan. They weren't budging. I then stuck them in the freezer and tried to focus on other things. Soon, Dave got them out of the freezer and popped them out with nary a care in the world. Cuz he's handy like that. And.... drum roll please....
aren't they pretty. The shape isn't the most practical thing in the whole world and they color better from the bottom than the top. but oh well. They are a little easier to hold for small lil paws.
... and in the end... it doesn't really matter what you do to them, because they still taste exactly the same.


the end. I feel like the Pioneer Woman now, with my little list and step by step pictures. wowee! fun stuff right thar!

5 comments:

Soo said...

NICE Rachie. NICE, is what I have to say to you. All that trouble for the tiny well-behaved human. You must be a dang good mommie : )

Jenni said...

yeah, what soo said. although i was a little concerned about the nice muffin tin that i gave you for christmas... :-P

Sabrina said...

We tired these awhile go. It took FOREVER to take the paper off. Still lots of fun.

Rhonda said...

clever! those should last for quite some time, since they won't break into teeny little 1/2" pieces that nobody wants to use. :)

Robyn said...

Now who's calling who Hilda?! Pretty awesome stuff there, sister.