Sunday, November 15, 2009

Linen fresh muffins, etc.

- Where to start? Kumquat's is the size of an apple, 4 inches long from head to rump, and can sense light, so they say, if one were shine a flashlight on my stomach. Haven't tried it yet.

- I want to watch Home Improvement but I'm making myself update this first.

- Last week was a sort of busy and there were a couple night where I had to run around stay up late getting things done. After working a long day and not feeling the best in the evening, it wasn't a lot of fun. But here's the muffin story. I was under the impression that I was supposed to take food for the ladies Bible study on Thursday morning. I knew I had signed up one day in November but I didn't know which one. I hadn't received a reminder e-mail, like they had been doing, but I talked to a couple people and figured out by process of elimination, that this would be my week. Of course I couldn't just run to the store and buy something - the Mennonite in me is screaming NO. So I make 3 kinds of muffins. Because anything worth doing, is worth overdoing. (I actually just made 2 kinds and split one of them and made half blueberry, half raspberry, so it's not quite as much work as it sounds) But anyway, it took a long time and I was wishing so badly I hadn't made so much work for myself. I was also stressing over them turning out. I tried one when they were done and thought it tasted bland. Of course I had made them before and they turned out great, but if I'm making them for a whole pile of church ladies, they must turn out bland. The pumpkin ones turned out pretty well but I slightly over baked them, making them not as good as they could have been. Sigh. So I trotted off to Bible study the next morning with my 3 kinds of muffins and fruit. When I got there, someone else had also brought food. Turns out it wasn't even my week. My week had been last week, and the lady had tried to send an e-mail but it came back so she just brought something herself. SERIOUSLY? So all the work the night before was for naught?? Well, some of my muffins got eaten. Lots left over. So on the way home from the Bible study, I tried one of the raspberry ones. OH MY WORD. I took one bite and thought, "WHAT IS THAT TASTE? WHAT IS THAT SCENT? I KNOW THAT SCENT!!!!" AHA - Glade linen fresh plug in air freshener! I kid you not! We had been dealing with some strange aromas in our apartment so awhile ago I bought this thing and plugged it in right by the kitchen table (where the muffins had set the night before). The scent had totally permeated the muffin in question. It was like eating the scent in our apartment - the oddest thing I tell you! And not entirely pleasant. And then I start to freak out over what i just fed all those ladies! AHHHHHHH!!!!! I knew it wasn't in all of them, only some, but who knows how many. So then I took a bunch to the lady I work for. We tired one of the raspberry ones there and it was fine. She was thinking I was just having weird pregnancy smell/taste issues, but I assured her this was not the case. Later that night she texted me and told me that they came across another one! It's true. She said the 2 year old (who loved my muffins) took one bite and got a really funny look on her face. So she tried it and told me, yep, no mistaking that - it's definitely a linen fresh one! OH NO! So I have no clue how many people got one of those, but if they did, they must think I poured laundry soup in for the oil or something. Anyway, that's my long muffin saga. If you ever want to make linen fresh muffins, I can give you a recipe. How do these stories always get so long?

- In other news, the last few days have been rather difficult for me and I'd love it if you'd like to pray for me/us. After about a week or so (probably a little less) of not having this terrible cough, on Thursday, it suddenly came back, this time with a fever. In addition to just feeling yucky all over, my ribs are very sore and the pain is pretty excruciating when I do have to cough. Yesterday I felt very sick and was wondering about this upcoming trip to MN that I'm SO looking forward to and would really like to be healthy for (for which I should like to be healthy?). I was advised to see a doctor, esp. due to all the chest/rib pain. I went to the clinic yesterday and the doctor gave me more drugs, really wanted me to keep the temp down as that's not great for little kumquat, and said my breathing sounded pretty clear. She thought I had some brochitus but not pnemonia. And she thought I probably cracked a rib or pulled some muscles really bad from all the coughing. They didn't do x rays but there's not much to do for it anyway other than let it heal. In the meantime, it would be much more pleasant if the cough went away. ANYHOO... yesterday was a very low day, feeling so weary and tired of being sick all the time, and wanting so badly to make myself get better before this weekend. And being scared that I won't be able to go. I'm so thankful for my understanding and supportive hubby who prayed a lot. Thankfully today the fever is gone so overall I feel much better, but the deep nasty cough is still around. I would love for that to clear up asap. Maybe a cracked rib is good prep for labour, I dunno... = P

- I think I already posted about being excited to fly to MN this coming weekend. I'm still excited. Can't believe how fast it's coming!

- I'm so happy that muffin making is not in the plan for this week.

- I thought I had more to say but I don't. Tim Allen is calling my name. How pathetic am I?

9 comments:

Bethany said...

I completely understand your stress over taking food to places. I'm the same way. :( I must confess though that I laughed. I'll keep praying that ye old cold and cough is GONE by this weekend.

My Not-So-Empty-Nest said...

That is very funny, Rachel. Leave it to you...I just couldn't imagine what that title was about!
I'm totally understanding about your cough. I've only started coughing this past Thurs. and already my temples hurts. I feel like I've about coughed my brains out at times. Thankfully, I can sleep pretty well though. Lets pray for each others well being. Sorry we won't make it to the wedding to see you but so it goes. Will we overlap at Christmas time? I hope so. We don't leave for the Falls (to fly to AZ) until the 24th.

iris said...

Praying for you right now!

MJ said...

Thanks for the muffin story...You should write a book for Glade, Tell them Mennonites have creative ways of fresh aired baking! I am glad you are feeling better. take Care

Anonymous said...

Praying for you too, I love your blogs,your the greatest! vicks yourself good before bed and put a warm rag around you neck and see it that helps your cough?
Twila

Rhonda said...

i don't know what it says about me, but the thought of raspberry muffins made me so hungry for them that i think i would have eaten them, linen and all. :D maybe.

i really hope you will be feeling well before the weekend!! may God bless those drugs! :)

Heather said...

Are you serious? I had no idea the air freshners were that powerful, but I thought it was hilarious! Are you going to tell the Bible study ladies next week?

Hope you're feeling better!

Judy said...

Rachel, you are so funny. I had the same experience with a bottle of aspirin that sat in my medicine cabinet next to an air freshener. The aspirin tasted like 'summer breeze', yuck!

shaunjoy said...

Hope you're feeling better! I had a good laugh at the muffin story. In the Freed family there is the legend of paint-flavored cinnamon rolls. :)