Saturday, October 31, 2009

Saturday morning

(I stole that original title from my sister) I guess it's been awhile since I stumbled onto my blog. I guess I have nothing interesting to write about and anything I write about how I'm doing or feeling isn't that pleasant and sounds gripey. So what's a girl to write about? How much do you really want to read about nausea, coughing/gagging, throwing up, and sleepless nights? There you have my life in 5 words. I'm rather annoyed at this ridiculous cold I got about 5 weeks ago. It was getting better, but never totally gone. The cough has now returned with a vengeance and pretty much keeps me up most of the night. And it's also unsafe to cough much with food in stomach. So gross. Anyway, I'll spare you the details. So in my absence, Kumquat has progressed from fig, to lime, and finally, a medium sized shrimp with tiny finger prints. = ) Happy thoughts.

Last Friday, which seems like a month and a half ago, we went to the doctor and she was trying to pick up the heartbeat with a doppler thingy. Well, she couldn't get it (lucky for us, because of how things were positioned) so she pulled out this really old ultrasound machine that she keeps around for things like this. So we actually got to SEE the little person in there - it was so incredible. I know it's old hat for most of you, but we wanted to ask her if we could just stare at the screen for the rest of the day. Baby was kicking, bouncing up and down, and had a little arm up behind the head at one point. SO incredible. I just can't believe how someone so tiny that could never survive outside the womb is so alive inside there! I try to remember that image on the really terrible days... doesn't always work. But soon I know it will all be worthwhile.

Oh, here's something that drives me NUTS! Yesterday I was at the mall. This always seems to happens at the mall. I wonder if since the institution of the "do not call" list, many of the worlds most annoying people found themselves unemployed and took jobs in malls all across this vast land. OH MY WORD! The LAST reason I go to the mall is to be harassed about my personal hygiene! And these people just do NOT let it go! I have a little complex because I feel as though they spot me coming and feel somehow they can't let this one get away! So they approach with some ego-booster like "LAND SAKES, what are you putting on your face?" or "Oh my, what have you done to your hair?" They always strike during the day when, if I'm at the mall, I'm there with one or two kids and I actually have somewhere to go. Do I look like I want to stop and chat about my hair or face? I want to start wearing a sign to the mall that says, "LEAVE ME ALONE! I WILL BITE!!!!" So back to yesterday, which was no exception - as I'm pushing a stroller, I'm approached by someone who I think wanted to rub something into my hands (I think). I got away and she wasn't as obnoxious as some. And THEN... a lady approaches me talking very fast about hair straighteners. ugh. She won't shut up. And there's 2 of them. And I'm thinking, please don't look at my hair! It hasn't been washed today and is yucky. I'm trying to get away from the lady, when her male sidekick takes over. He brings obnoxious to a whole new level. Excuse me, do you have a hair straightener? Well, yeah, I have one, I think the last time I used it was for a wedding I went to in June... so I mumble yes as I'm trying to walk away. "What kind is it?" I have no idea weirdo! Let me pull out the wallet card I carry around that has the names of all the grooming products I use... (LEAVE ME ALONE!!) "Well, I'm sure it's the kind with 2 metal plates and do you know what that does to your hair???" do I care? "It FRIES your hair!!! FRIES it! Now, WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO YOUR HAIR?? WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO YOUR HAIR....." I wanted to say, "Mister, I am PREGNANT, SICK, CRANKY, IN NEED OF SUSTENANCE (in the form of an Aunt Annie's pretzel which is where I'm GOING), and have a kid with me with the attention span of a hummingbird, DO YOU REALLY THINK I CARE TWO HOOTS WHAT YOU ARE SELLING AND WANT TO BE LECTURED ABOUT MY HAIR CARE? Furthermore, your breath is sharply odorous and given the above facts, is making me want to gag and barf considerably. And by the way, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO YOUR TEETH? WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO YOUR MOUTH? WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS???" (I know it happens to the best of us, but under the circumstances, I felt he deserved it) Ah well, I bit my tongue and said something along the lines of "because I'm crazy I guess" and got away. But seriously, this type of thing happens nearly every time I go to the mall (during the day), although this guy was particularly offensive. It just gets really old. Where can you go to shop or eat in peace?

10 comments:

Bethany said...

Yay! So glad to hear from the shrimp's mommy on this fine Saturday morning. : ) I think I'm hearing an echo though - Rhelda is pregnant too (15 weeks) and still feeling nauseous and puking most of the time. : ( Thankfully, she hasn't had the compounded problem of a tenacious cold. I hope you feel better soon, dear!

And I can't say that I have that problem at the mall - for one, I don't go there often, and for two, I keep my head down, walk with a purposeful stride, and if someone was calling out to me, I'd probably just act like I didn't hear them at all. Of course, I'm not sure that's the most Christian response...

Kim said...

i find that when i walk through malls, my eyes tend to tear up. so if you wipe at just the right time, they think you're crying and won't bother you. :) if i'm with someone, i talk intently to them and don't make eye contact with the salesman. if all else fails and they still talk to you, i find saying, "i'm NOT interested" with a mean look in your eye works just as well. sometimes, they just need to know when they've gone too far.

good luck for next time. you can do it. :)

Rhonda said...

good to hear from you. i am glad that all the puking hasn't done away with your sense of humour. :)

My Not-So-Empty-Nest said...

Yes, Rachel, just keep your chin up and have your mints ready! Or not. You could try surprising us all and posting 100 good things to be thankful for in the next however many posts! Rachel Pollyanna, eh?

Sabrina said...

I'm sorry you're still not feeling well. You need to buy some sour patch kids. I found out by accident that they helped me when I was feeling nauseous and I've since heard other people say the same thing.

I don't think you will ever get tired of seeing ultrasounds of your baby or any other children you have. It's so amazing! Wait until you're 35 weeks like I am and you can sit and watch your belly move all over the place like there is a marching band in there. :)

Jenni said...

At least you told him off in your head! :-) Makes me glad we don't have a mall here.

Yay for seeing little kumquat! (I know he's bigger than that now, but i like way kumquat sounds!)

Love ya!

iris said...

Oh Rachel, I have a hard enough time telling sales people NO on the phone, let alone in person. I would NOT like that AT ALL.

I'm sorry you are still coughing and not able to sleep at night. And still have to work and take relatively good care of kids during the day. Eat lots of mall pretzels. And keep writing. We all love you!

shaunjoy said...

Yeah, I hate those mall people too. They can be unbelievably in-your-face... and whatever product they're pushing is usually a direct slam on my personal being.

I attempt to make absolutely no eye contact, even when it gets to the point of yelling, I'M NOT INTERESTED!

Please eat a pretzel for me -- I adore Auntie Anne's and our mall doesn't have them. *sniff, sniff*

Robyn said...

Once again, you made me smile. I would have laughed, but I'm sick. Hope the sickness lets up soon.

Robyn said...

BTW, forgot to mention how excited I am for you that you got to see your little person. !!!