Thursday, May 07, 2009

Absent minded professor...

You know how people who are really smart and like to stare off into space thinking about numbers and things like that, how they tend to not have the brain space for menial, every day boring stuff.... I just have to share a couple cute little stories. The other night we were doing piles of laundry. We moved everything from the washers to 2 dryers and brought the rest in to hang up. Well, I went to bed while Dave finished since I had to be up early in the morning and he's officially done school. In the morning I went to get something and one basket (the one that he had but in the dryer) was completely soaking wet. Often our stuff doesn't dry all the way which is annoying, but this seemed like it hadn't been dried at all. Before I left for work I mentioned it and said he probably forgot to push the button to start to dryer. So he went out to check and came back and said, "Not only did I not push the button to start it, but all 5 of the quarters were just sitting in the slots not even pushed in. Oh I laughed. Okay, it's not that funny, but just the thought of taking all the clothes from the washer and putting them in the dryer, putting all the coins in the dryer, leaving, and then coming back in a couple hours and taking all the wet clothes out... it just hit me funny.


I try not to tease Dave too much about his tendency to park, um, shall we say, not straight. The other day he said, "You'd think with all the geometry I've had, I'd be able to park a car!" I just laughed. This morning as I walked out to my car to go to work, I stared at both of our cars parked right beside each other and thought, gracious day in the mornin, I never park that crooked! I'm even parked worse than Dave who is parked slightly crooked. Then I remembered a story from last night and had to laugh. Dave was going to be nice and fill up my car with gas (because I have to get up early and bla bla bla). So he comes home after filling it up and says that he took the car to get gas and it only cost 10 bucks and he thought, that's odd, her car was on empty, so he looks and realizes he's driving his car and not mine. So he comes home and gets mine and fils that one up as well - thus both cars are now full and parked very crookedly. But dang he's good at math! His students liked him so much this semester they baked him cookies! How sweet is that?

Okay, I'm back again. More boring ramblings - I just made the most disgusting supper ever. Yes, I'm on a health kick again and never do anything half way. So I bought this new flour at the health food store - buckwheat and millet. And I wanted to make a pizza. I've never used buckwheat before and had no idea it tasted like horse dung. No wonder the average person doesn't have it in their house. I made up my dough using those 2 things and it's dry, crumby, sawdust like and tastes gross. arg. Just wanted you all to know. If any of you have suggested for using the stuff, I'd be open to that.

7 comments:

Bethany said...

Oh my word, Rachel - both of those stories are hilarious!! He's definitely a blonde along with the absent-minded professor part. ; ) Sorry, Dave! No offense, I promise! And sorry, but no advice on the millet and buckwheat - you know I'd be the last person to have such oddities around. : ) I made regular old pizza crust tonight w/ white flour (gasp!), and it was GREAT.

shaunjoy said...

Heh, heh...methinks our husbands are a bit similar -- brilliant, just not highly gifted in the common sense department. Shaun once got into the backseat of our car (instead of the driver's seat) and just sat there for a while trying to figure out what was wrong. I was in the front beginning to worry about his health.

Rhonda said...

funny stuff. :)

Anonymous said...

I remember one time someone donated buckwheat honey to the mission. I guess that means the bees were buzzing around in fields of buckwheat, then cleaning off their fuzzy legs before mama let them back into the hive. Anyhow, we were passing the foul smelling stuff around the table at the guesthouse and gagging - except for one guy who actually liked the outhouse flavored goop! -Melva
P.S. My word verification is "pharkup"... that's what I almost did with that honey!

Sabrina said...

Keep laughing together. :) Buckwheat, yes, my parents always thought buckwheat pancakes were wonderful. I think it was just because three small pancakes could fill up a family of 5. Cheap.

Robyn said...

There's too much here to comment on everything, but thanks for a laugh. Sabrina's comment cracked me up too. I liked seeing the pics of the area around you.

Anonymous said...

Loved these stories!!Truly great reading!Sometimes it soothes my soul to know that some of these seemingly super intelligent beings God has allowed to live and walk among us, also have a very human side to them as well! To Dave, I say,welcome to our world!
About one week ago, Merle and I had this amazing invitation to a dinner threatre with our tickets paid in full, by some very dear and very thoughtful friends. I was so excited and so very much was looking forward to our very , very special evening out! Not only that, but we were to be in the company of several other friends whom I had gone to high school with! Just thinking about it caused my excitement and anticipation levels to sky rocket! The day after, our dear friend called. Very gingerly she inquired if we were ok? Sounding very relieved, it soon occurred to me what had happened! I had my dates mixed up and in my mind we had yet another week until the dinner threatre. How wrong I was!
This "Senior thing" kind of scares me!
Carolyn S.