Friday, April 03, 2009

In the absence of anything exciting going on...

... I shall ramble about boring things for a bit. First, a few of life's simpler pleasures:

* a new hairdryer. My current one was either 5 or 10 years old. I can't remember because I got it either before Israel or before Indiana. At any rate, the thing was totally obnoxious! It would blow at full strength for a little bit, then there would be pretty flashes of color and it would flip to very low speed for awhile, then randomly back to high. This would go on and on. It would take me forever to dry my hair. Plus, the air was way too hot so I was always burning my tender little scalp and fingers. Well, now that I'm a working (to use the term in its broadest sense) woman and actually have places to go in the morning, I thought I could justify a new hairdryer. Can I just say that they've upped the voltage on those things in the last decade! And not to mention that my shiny new one, oh, it's so beautiful, it never decreases in power, the high speed is higher than the high speed of my last one, the air temp is a comfortable warm and it's FAST. It's been such a joy in my life this past week.

* new tires! My car has had serious alignment issues since last summer. The people Dave took it to in Warsaw said that the alignment was so bad (and I drove with it like that for too long) that the only way to fix it was by getting new tires. They said I'd probably want to do it in the next 6 months or so. Well, before I had a job, I mostly just drove around town and when we were on the interstate, we took Dave's car. Since I started working and had the sheer terror of driving my car on the interstate, I knew it was high time to get them fixed. Not only did the car pull very extremely and stubbornly to the right, but when you got on the interstate, it felt like it was going to tip over. I kid you not! And it is NOT a fun feeling at all, lemme tell ya. Actually, I drove it 2 days, and then Dave and I switched cars for 3 weeks until we got the tires changed (not that I wanted the car to tip over with him in it! He doesn't take the interstate to school...). Anyway, we finally got 2 new tires and VOILA! It drives like a charm, once again! No pull to the right anymore and thank God, no tipping over. Can you imagine if you were roaring down the interstate and your car just suddenly decided to tip? ARG! I hate the interstate to begin with. Let alone sliding down it sideways. Moving along...

* Speaking of the interstate, it hit me the other day that when Bethany came to visit last November, I literally had a stomach ache the day she left just dreading driving home from the airport. Now I drive that exact route nearly every day, mostly with considerable ease. I still hate merging, esp. on Fridays. And I don't have to take it during rush hour which I would really hate. But anyway, progress.

* IT'S FRIDAY!!

* We are getting a major overhaul done on our computer TODAY! I'm so excited. Hopefully it works. Anyway, then I shall post pictures.

* The homestead is mostly clean and in order. We usually end up doing that Friday night or Saturday but this week we're one step ahead. Which makes me very happy to think that this evening we can just relax and not have that hanging over our heads.

Moving out of life's pleasures and to random boring news...

* I came to work this morning with mascara on only my right eyelashes. DUH! I feel like somewhat of a freak and I'm trying not to stand too close to anyone.

* Yesterday I drove to work and it was a gorgeous, sunny day. Within an hour or 2 it was looking very cloudy and nasty. Around 11 a.m. it looked like it was 9:30 at night. It was SO dark. All of a sudden the wind was blowing like crazy, sirens were going off and I was looking out the (6th story) window, trying not to freak out. I normally don't mind storms, but hearing the sirens and being 6 stories up was just a disconcerting feeling to me. Add to that that a co-worker when running out to move her truck and there were 4 vehicles who's windows had shattered due to the strong winds. There was (is) glass all over the parking lot which I'm trying very hard to avoid with my new tires. Anyway, there were tornado warnings, but it all blew over pretty quick. I don't think I've ever seen it that dark in the middle of the day. So eerie!

* Also yesterday when I was driving home, the traffic was terrible. It's usually really bad, but this day was even worse than normal. Like being stopped for LONG periods of time at green lights. ARG! The traffic was totally backed up bumper to bumper and was barely moving at all. Finally figured out why - there was a stop light out because of the storm at a very busy intersection, making it a 4 way stop. that'll do it. Finally got out of there and was enjoying flying at 40 miles an hour, when we were stopped by a train. I love the city.

* Well, I think that's about all the news my little head can drum up. Maybe I'll run to the store and grab some mascara. Happy Friday to everyone.

5 comments:

Jenni said...

thanks for all the news. the mascara cracked me up!!! sounds like something of mom of 6 would do. :-) or me. hehe.

lisa said...

ok...I was laughing at the mascara news also...but mainly because I did something similar!! I had a meeting in town on friday and when I got in the car to go back to the school..I noticed I had put on eyeliner but forgotten the mascara completely...and trust me, you can not see my eyelashes at all!!! but I think none, might be better then one eye done.

Robyn said...

I too, found the most amusement in the mascara story :-) I miss you!

Sabrina said...

I read this a couple days ago, but I guess I forgot to comment. I leave the house without any makeup on more these days than I ever thought possible. I remember the days when I plucked the hair on my chin every. morning. Now I just run my fingers through it run. eehh. :(

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I was in need of something to make me smile today and, as usual, you did it....several times actually. When do we get to see you again?

Debbie