Monday, January 07, 2008

Happy New Year (is that unoriginal enough?)

Okay, I apologize to the 2 of my fans who have been clamoring for an update for a long time now. What can I say, life is crazy. = ) So anyway, I'm feeling completely and utterly unmotivated and uninspired at the moment and don't know where to start or what you want to hear. Christmas break was phenomenal - parts of it were phenomenally awful, but at least it was always phenomenal. Most of this feels like old news by now and most of you probably already heard the story, so anyway, I'll be brief. The plan was to head from Iowa up to International Falls the Friday before Christmas (that would be by air) and then drive from the Falls and get to Red Lake in the afternoon. We got up at 3 to drive to the airport and were dropped off there and standing in line for quite some time when were finally informed that all flights were canceled due to bad weather. So Dave's dad came back and picked us up and we loaded all the luggage back into the car and then started driving. The plan was to drive to Minneapolis to see if we could catch a stand by flight up to the Falls. So once we got there, we unloaded our obscene amount of luggage and dragged it for what seemed like miles - turned out we were at the completely wrong terminal so we were taking trains and such things to get to where we needed to be and after finally arriving at the desk, the lady told us there were other people in front of us in line and there was a slim chance we'd get on the flight. So Dave tried to get money back for our tickets which turned out to be a lengthy process and then we loaded up all our luggage and again dragged it the miles to the car. Loaded it all up and continued to drive for what seemed like 18 hundred years. The further north we got, we experienced some snow and nasty roads. And Dave thought the 502 was a cultural experience (for you Red Lakers). So anyway, we arrived in Red Lake at 3 in the morning, 24 hours after we got up that morning. When things got really miserable was when we were both so tired it was very difficult for one of us to stay awake to drive. But anyway, then we had a fun time with family and then I got sick Christmas eve and struggled with said illness for the reminder of the trip. It frequently felt as though a knife was lodged between my throat and left ear, in case anyone was wondering. Driving from the falls back to Iowa I felt very not well and yeah, I've had more fun on other days of my life. We spent time with Dave's family in Iowa and got to see Leonard and Twila which was fun. We were delayed one day heading back to Indiana due to weather and then when we finally did head back, we got a very flat tire in Chicago. Which seemed really fitting, somehow. Anyway, we did have a lot of fun despite all the unplanned adventure. And like I said, I'm feeling very uninspired, so maybe I'll just post some pictures and relieve you of having to read this any longer.

12 comments:

elise said...

Rachel, you got another flat tire! Your life is amazing!

Matthew and Rhonda said...

i don't know whether to laugh or cry. so i just enjoyed the pictures. :) thanks for posting one of darla, too, since she hasn't taken up blogging yet. hee hee. (are you reading, darla?)

Anonymous said...

i don't know whether to compare this to nasv or sweetened condensed milk...:)i rather enjoyed the real story straight from your lips. The best part was meeting Dave!

lisa said...

wow! I could hardly believe my eyes!!! a real live update on your life!!! remember the days when you use to update your blog often!!! hey...just giving you a bad time....but I really do like it when you update!! glad you had fun despite the obstacles you had to face!!! being sick is definetly no fun.

rachelslab said...

Oh, so you enjoyed meeting Dave more than haning out with me, Rita? I'm shocked! Should I be offended?? = ) (teeze teeze)

Anonymous said...

Finally! I wondered when my wandering friend was going to post. Good to catch-up again. Sorry to hear about all your misadventures in traveling. Kind of like same song....second and third and fourth verses, eh? =) Come on over here where you get to haul stuff for miles and travel by bus and never have to worry about driving yourself anywhere.Makes things to "stress free." Ha! Glenda

Jenni said...

yeah! a post! so sorry to share our viruses with you!! really!!

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you again. And I sent you an email since MSN was being stupid this morning....grr!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that you had an update for my pleasure this morning! It is good to know you are alive and not lying in your bed under a cloud of depression for all that went ary for you. But think of this....at least you were with Dave and not alone. You will learn to be very appreciative of that ....dare I say....in the years to come. Life has been one great big adventure requiring lots of detours and flexibility for me/us and we often look at each other and thank God that we are in it all TOGETHER!!

Anonymous said...

Arrggh. If you drove to iowa that means you were within 4 miles of my house off of I-80. well, anyway, I suppose there were more important people to see! Glad you got home safely after a very eventful trip!

Anonymous said...

Nice to see an update Rachel! Your holidays sound like they were way too similar to mine. . .right down to the knife between the throat and the ear. I had that too! Dreadful, absolutely dreadful. If I had had a flat tire, I think I would have laid beside the road and pulled my hair out strand by strand by strand. . .

lisa said...

I just wanted to tell you "congratulations on being an Aunt" again!!! Just think....if ya could have stayed two more weeks ya could have seen the little sweetheart!!! those jobs just get in the way don't they?