Tuesday, December 04, 2007

It's like this...

.... I had every intention of posting, but life is totally crazy right now. I know, that's just the nature of December and all. But at the moment I'm trying to work 11 hour days to make up for some time off last week, which was very worth it, by the way. But I'm just sorta wasted right now. And I'm in the middle of putting up a very odd looking roommate with my tree but she's talking on the phone right now and I'm interior at hanging beads so here I am. Let's see - I had a really nice Thanksgiving break. Then I came home and life has been nuts. The thing I did want to mention was the Amish play I want to Friday night. I think I've mentioned before that my roommate bought season tickets and I inherited some from a friend. So we've been going to these mediocre plays for awhile and this was the last one - "What Christmas." I'd have to say it was by far the best so far, but I'd also have to say that that would not take much AT ALL. My roommate and I were tired so I think things seemed funnier than they really were. But we laughed a lot throughout the evening. First of all, we didn't leave early enough so we were sorta scrambling to get to the play in time after eating our 5th Threshers Dinner of the season. Okay, so it's nearly sold out and this particular theater - oh my - they absolutely PACK you in like sardines. There are these long long long rows of chairs smashed together with little to no walking room in between rows. So as fate would have it, we're sitting smack dab in the middle of this hideously long row and we are some of the last people to sit down. Oh boy - so we start the trek - pardon me, excuse me, sorry about your foot, oops, hope your toe's okay - oh blood, gross... Okay, so at one point I totally lost my balance and I was inches from this older lady who was sitting down and I knew if I didn't do something I'd end up in her lap. So I just put my hand out and "fell" upon her shoulder. And I'm standing there trying to regain my balance and apologizing and still leaning on her. And she was so friendly about the whole ordeal. But when I got to my seat I laughed till I cried. I'm sure you had to be there. It's just one of those really odd things... Then once we got seated I was looking around and realized that the average age in the building was probably about 87. There were seniors there by the dozens and there we sat. Another thing that was interesting about this play - in the past we've been sort of surprised by some of the content of these plays - nothing terrible, but just not what you would expect from a "Round Barn Theater." Well, this particular play had very little questionable content, but at one point one of the actresses yelled, "WHAT the H**L ... " and there was this collective gasp in the audience. We thought that was pretty funny considering previous plays there. And then at the end of the play, there was this fake snow everywhere. It just poured from the heavens and then I looked at the lady sitting next to me and after checking her pulse, I saw that there was this white stuff just piled sky high in her hair. And then I lost it again. And I was covered in the stuff but for some reason hardly any of it was landing on my roommate - how does that work? Anyway, the whole evening was just very funny. Probably unlike this post and for that I apologize. On the way home, we went to 2 stores and shopped till 1 in the morning and that would be when I started my Christmas shopping. The following day which would be Saturday, I continued the endeavor and there was this nasty snow and ice storm here that day. When I went to drive home, my car had been parked for a couple hours and the ice was so thick I couldn't get it off for anything. I was spraying de-icer but it was doing nothing. Some nice soul came and helped me eventually. And the defrost was useful as well. Okay, I think that's all I have to say now. I'm going to resume decorating the very very odd looking tree. Merry Early Christmas!

12 comments:

Jenni said...

so are you decorating the tree or the room-mate? i'm confused. funny story about play. how come you don't give us that many details about your Thanksgiving weekend??? :-)

Matthew and Rhonda said...

what jenni said. :)

Anonymous said...

and this lurker says, "ditto what Rhonda said"

Anonymous said...

now, Rachel, I'm sure you're going to say, "who is this lurker?" Guess. =)

Sabrina said...

Why is is an Amish play? Are the actors Amish??

So, what did you do for Thanksgiving? :)

shaunjoy said...

Yes, it would seem that Thanksgiving might merit some mention... :)

Anonymous said...

What Jenni, Rhonda, and the lurker said and Sabrina & Joy said.

lisa said...

what Jenni, Rhonda, the lurker, Sabrina, Joy, and Bethany said.....

mathfridge said...

For the record I'm not the Lurker. Rachel was undefeated at Euchre over Thanksgiving by the way.

Dave

Jenni said...

well that's really nice to know, dave, but it certainly doesn't satisfy our curiosity entirely.

Robyn said...

on the contrary, rachel. your post was very funny. how i would love to laugh with you again... :-)

mathfridge said...

Hi Rachel,

Just to let you know I've got a new blog post up. See you soon.

Dave