Saturday, March 31, 2007

Pit, Pinky, Pain, Pathology, Pct.

For the 2 of you who have been bugging me for a post, here I am finally. I know it's been ages. The desire to blog tends to wax and wane if you know what I mean... (ebb and flow, come and go, etc.) And it's not just the desire. I've had good intentions for a long time, but nothing has magically materialized. Firstly, can I just say that I feel like I can't keep myself healthy these days for anything. I've just been going from one ailment to the next. Had a nasty little stomach bug, got rid of that and was nearly immediately overtaken by a sore throat that felt like I was swallowing swords. Which has now settled nicely into a little head cold. I think I've already taken more sick time at this job than I did in the over 2 years I worked at the bank (which wouldn't take much - I think I only took one day off sick in that time, excluding having my wisdom teeth pulled). Anyway, that's been the main annoyance in my life right now.

Onto bigger and better things... let's see. This weekend has been very nice so far. Last night I went to a movie sort of late with a friend - not the smartest with the way I've been feeling, but by Friday, I just wanna have some fun, ya know? Then this morning, I was feeling even more faint of spirit. A friend called to see if I wanted to go out for breakfast and she ended up getting it to go and bringing it over here. We just sat around and talked for hours. It was wonderful.

Last weekend at some point, there were 5 of us here and we ended up playing Pit. If you don't know the game, this won't make much sense, but anyway, I just want to share a little story with you. This falls under the category of "where in the world do I get my luck??" The point of the game is to get lots of points - game ends at 500 points. You can get either -20, -40 (which would be really rare), or the person who wins the round gets more points - 60 - 100. There are 2 cards you don't want to have in your hand when someone gets Pit and if you have one you get -20. For some reason, invariably, I would get slipped one of these cards (Oh, everyone is yelling and trading cards at the same time and trying to get rid of the bad card) and then someone would yell "PIT!" (I don't know why I'm explaining the whole game, you probably all know how to play...) Happened over and over and over. At the end of the game when someone had 500 points and we could stop, my score was - 160. Safe to say that's never happened before.

Other news - Okay, this is for 24 lovers everywhere. I don't know how many of you are into the TV show 24, but I knew so many people who thought it was amazing. So awhile back my roommate and I rented the first 4 episodes of the first season. Oh my! It really does draw you in and the acting and plot are all superb, in my humble opinion. But then we have a problem - it will cost too much to rent all 24 episodes. So I looked around for awhile and found a good deal on ebay - much cheaper than we could have rented all of them. But I have come to the conclusion it is not good for me to watch shows like that. I felt like I was entering an alternate universe and would practically expect to hear the latest development on the evening news. We would barely be able to stop watching. Then came the evening when we finished the series. Oh the ending was just heartbreaking. I was so disturbed I wanted to go back in time and undo it all! ugh. So depressing. So now, several weeks later, I think I've sufficiently worked through my grief (it was rough there for awhile) but I still have the occasional dream about it. Yikes. Scary. So, in light of these events, I resorted to a different show that would cause me neither depression nor nightmares. (oh and by the way, I do more than sit around and watch TV shows on DVD - but all the recent sickness has occasionally lent itself to such a lifestyle) Anyone ever watch Pinky and the Brain? Doesn't it just sound like something an intelligent adult would watch? It's sort of a cartoon for adults about 2 lab rats involved in an intricate plan and diabolical scheme to take over the world. One is a genius, the other insane, as the song goes. In each show they try a new plan. My roommate brought a complete season on DVD from her parent's awhile back. If you ever need a break from the drab duties of every day life, you might want to tune into an episode - they can be quite hilarious at times, full of odd, random, and clean humor. Here's a few little quotes for you that probably won't be funny at all out of context, but here they are anyway, oh and by the way, this little post is making me feel like I really have no life at all! Oh, I did go on a glorious bike ride Monday night, in between illnesses and that was lovely. There's some really nice, recently paved trails around here. Anyway, here you go:

Pinky: Cheer up Brain, it could be worse.
Brain: HOW?
Pinky: We could be 2 cantaloupes that nobody bought, and be all rotten and smelly in the back of the market.
Brain: Funny how that doesn't cheer me up.

Brain: Scientifically speaking, it's because you are a spazy, beetle-headed doofus with the intellect of a mule hoof that I have yet to conquer the world.

Brain: Do you have any idea why we've been camping out in this wretched wall?
Pinky: To acquire a dank and musty smell?
Brain: Pinky, you have the reasoning skills of a burlap sack.

Female pilot talking to a dummy constructed by Pinky and the Brain: Don't talk much, do ya? Yeah, I had a boyfriend like you once. Always thinkin, real quiet. Turned out he was actually a propane tank, which explained a lot. (sigh) I miss him!

Okay, there's many more, but I'll leave it at that for now. Oh here's an additional couple quotes that have been overheard lately:
"What guy is going to want a girl with cardboard feet??"
"The problem with old movies is that no one is coming out with any new ones."

Okay, I apologize for the lameness of this post and hope it's not a reflection of my life.

11 comments:

Rhonda said...

Well, whether or not this post reflects badly on your life, I thought it was entertaining. :D And, I can relate to your struggles with the game of Pit. I always like to try again, for some odd reason. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson by now. And, I haven't heard Pinky and the Brain quotes since I was in Israel!

I'm going to start on season 2 of 24 as soon as I can convince Matthew to watch them with me. :)

shaunjoy said...

LOVE Pinky and the Brain...always a classic! Especially their "Are you thinking what I'm thinking" lines.

"Well sure, Brain, but where are we going to find plastic pants in our size?"

"Of course, Brain, but wouldn't it hurt to stick marbles up our nose?"

rachelslab said...

Thanks guys - I don't feel quite as lame anymore.

rachelslab said...

Oh, and one more thing, Rhonda - maybe we could set up an IMing support group for season 2 - just a thought.

Jenni said...

i'm speechless. but thanks for the post. i'd like to try watching 24, but i'm afraid of getting addicted too. and i don't have time. :-(

Sabrina said...

I've never watched 24 or Pinky and the Brain, but Pit, oh yes, what a thrill. Love it!

Anonymous said...

I absolutly love pinky and the brain. They are so funny. A great little escape from reality!

Anonymous said...

I like this post, Rachel! It is humourous and interesting. =)

I saw a cartoon the other day that made me laugh. Not everyone here thought it was as funny as I did, but for some reason it struck me as funny and it made me think of you. Maybe because of your Pinky jokes.

It was a US postal service advertisement. One guy talking to another:
"How much would it cost to ship one item in this flat rate box?"
"$8.10"
"How about two items?"
"$8.10."
"Three?"
"$8.10."
"Four?"
"$8.10."
"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious about five items."....

Rhonda said...

Kendra, that is my kind of joke. Thanks for sharing it...it made me laugh out loud.

rachelslab said...

Yes, Kendra - I was highly amused as well! Thanks! = )

Williams said...

Richard Swigart profile will lead you to the free gift card generator a free way to get codes. Don't forget to visit this link this is a limited opportunity