Thursday, October 26, 2006

mindless babbling...

"Hello children, Today your social worker will be completely strung out on drugs, so please don't pay attention to a thing she says or does.... (and remember... stay sober!)"

So, I've had this wretched cough for over a week now that feels as though someone has their fingers wrapped around my throat and is squeezing. I get hacking and can't quit. It is so frustrating. And has been interfering with my sleep a lot lately, so I've been experiencing with different drugs to see if anything will work. What I have been discovering is that drugs take a LONG time to get out of the system! Whenever I take something at night, the next morning I'm just out of it, even if it's non-drowsy. Well, a couple nights ago I was up so much, that last night I didn't care, I was going to heavily sedate myself so that I could sleep. The thought was if I took something early enough in the evening, it would be gone by morning. My plan failed, and the powerful drugs did little to stop the coughing as well. So now I was near comatose, with scarcely the ability to move, yet compulsed to rid the chocking feeling, so I still had to cough. I think coughing drugged is actually worse than coughing undrugged because coughing takes a certain amount of energy which the drugs very effectively removes. By morning, the drugs were still very much a part of me and I wandered around work feeling like a was having an out of body experience. Also, due to having cough drops in my mouth nearly constantly for the last several days, the inside of my mouth feels like, oh I don't know, hamburger... sandpaper... something like that. I was wishing for some good old Canadian Buckley's. The only stuff I had expired in 04 and was solidifying so that scared me. Okay, that's about all that's new with me.

As for the state of my car, I get to drive it like this for a couple weeks and then I get it fixed and insurance pays for all of it but my modest deductible, so it's not too bad. Hope everyone is just peachy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, Rachel, I'm so sorry for you. At least you don't have a leak at the bottom end from having 5 kids that proves to be an embarrassing problem on top of the cough. (Or should I say as a result of the cough.) =) Of course I've only heard of this being a problem for some. I've never experienced such an embarrasement myself. No, not me.

My word verification is making me giggle...it has "gpp" as part of it.=)

Rhonda said...

you and larissa could sympathize with each other...she is coughing like crazy. twice now she's thrown up a little just from coughing. :( I did figure out that if i hold her when she's sleeping so that she's sitting up, it helps a lot. maybe you could try that. do you have a recliner?

Robyn said...

Hope you're feeling better soon...

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear the experiment was unsuccessful. Maybe I'll wait another week to try to call again. Rest this weekend, okay?

rachelslab said...

Rhonda - could you come hold me on my recliner? That might be just the thing.

Jenni said...

Oh, my dear girl. You do beat all! Yes, I'm sure if Rhonda would rock you to sleep that would be just the ticket! This must be some bug we all shared at Stormer Lake. Earlier this week I did the "cough until you almost puke" routine a couple times. The first time it happened, I was finally winding down and not quite hacking up a lung anymore, and Caleb asked, "Mommy, do you have a cough?" !?!?!?!