Monday, September 25, 2006

A word to the wise...

When the town is named "Hills" maybe bike somewhere else! Oh my! Okay, here's a few words on my weekend. The people who wrote about this trip on the website were very very misleading, hopefully not maliciously. Gentle, rolling hills they say. POSCH!! Never gentle and only a few rolling. I don't believe I've ever biked in hills like that, even Red Lake to Pakwash. It was insane. And some pretty strong winds as well, which is always a fun combination. granny gear and 3 mph. Some may question the wisdom of biking 55 miles in hilly topography with gusting winds and very little recent training. Others may scoff at such wisdom. Others (same others) may also loose their will to live at about mile 41. Ah well, I should have known I was in for a long day - as we unloaded our bikes and biked over to the registration table, I was feeling great and thinking how fun this was going to be. As I gracefully slowed to stop, suddenly I thought, hummm... why am I flying through the air? Seriously, why?? It seemed so odd. Then I remembered, oh yeah, toe clips. Forgot I had those on. It really wasn't a bad fall at all, but I think, other than looking like a complete dork, I pulled something in my one leg. Till I was done with the trip, I could barely lift it. But as miserable as parts of the day was, now, 2 days later, I feel nearly back to normal, so I think that's pretty good, considering my lack of serious riding lately. Okay, enough about biking. I think from now on, I'll do my big trips in Indiana. It was great to see friends that I haven't seen in awhile and get caught up with them. Okay, that's all for now I guess. I'm greatly sleepy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Rachel, you always help me get in my laugh for the day! You just have a way with words that most of us don't. Have a good day and I hope your leg feels better soon , too. (That wasn't what I laughed at.)

Anonymous said...

Superwoman! You're my hero...

~ joy

Anonymous said...

I tried to leave a comment, but when I posted it, it said your blog was not found and it kicked me back to the blogger home. Weird. Anyway, what I said was that I admire your pererverance. And that I can sympathize with the crash, since I face-planted myself on the road behind Unkle Wally's a couple weeks ago. I can't even blame it on toe clips.

Anonymous said...

Your amazing ability with the written word never ceases to amaze me!
Congratulations on completing another ride - I personally have a great fear of bike riding (must be some horrid experience whose memory I have suppressed..).

How's the job going??????

Jenni said...

Ha Ha Ha! Not at you, but near you! :-) Remember that movie about the hockey player who becomes a figures skater (like that would ever really happen!) And as he keeps falling on his face, his partner "sweetly" says, "toe pick!" In your case, "toe clip!"

Anonymous said...

just wanted to let you know i'm still reading...

Jenni said...

Reading, but not writing, I keep noticing. :-) I know, I know, you're very busy! Happy shopping! How'd the haircut go?

Anonymous said...

What can I say but the beautiful hills of Iowa!!! I still roar as I picture you flipping in or onto the regestery table!!
Twila