Thursday, January 12, 2012

my fall project...

I wanted to do these letters for our new neice and it ended up taking way longer than I thought it would. Some aspects of it were really fun, others not so much. = ) But it was fun be creative again. I got some help with the finishing touches from my sis and friend up in Red Lake. So here you go - if I was smart I'd have step by step photos, but I don't. = ( But it's pretty simple - start with wooden letters, cut out scrapbook paper of your choice for each letter. Modge podge it on there, and then the really unfun part - sanding it down to the get edges to look nice. I was very perfectionistic, but the paint kept coming off and all that. Then my sis convinced me that it's supposed to look like that - a distressed look. So I tried to stop stressing about it. Oh, I forgot that step - paint the sides of the letters. With paint. I used yellow. Oh, and you modge podge the top of the paper too once it's stuck on there, to give it a nice shiny, finished look - likely my favorite part. Then put on any cutsey embelishments your heart desires and spend hours on each letter deciding what looks best with what. Then yer done!




oops - little ribbon placement problem at the bottom of the R. didn't notice that till I looked at the pictures.

(I'm secrectly in love with the "A.")
the end.

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

soooo pretty! hey, i JUST NOW thought of something: these should be on pinterest!!!

(snicker, snicker.)

Kendra said...

Very impressed! Wanna make some for my kid when he arrives?! =)

Your little girl is getting so big! What a cute picture.

rachelslab said...

Kendra - sure! Here are some appropriate names to choose from: Bo, Ki, P.J, J.R, J.J, etc... If I'm feeling really generous, I might allow the following: Ian, Bob, Jim (not Jimmy or Jim Jr.) Tim, Col (no e, sorry), Ced, well, I'm sure you get the idea.

Bethany said...

You are so creative, you make sick. I realize that's a twisted compliment.

Do you have a limited number of letters or something? :)