Thursday, November 27, 2008

Life here in the south...

Hello all -- thought I should update you all on what's going on here. Not too much of great excitement at the moment. I just posted a pile of pictures that should appear below if all goes according to plan. So, our life, in heading form:

COMPANY!!: Bethany was here from Friday through Tuesday. We had a blast and now I feel like I need to recuperate! = ) We crammed a lot of stuff in the time she was here, but it was really fun to get out and see what this place has to offer. Dave was busy with school part of the time, so I'm looking forward to doing some of the things with him that Bethany and I did.

THANKSGIVING: That would be today, for the Americans. So, Happy Thanksgiving to one and all. Dave and I ended up going to a family's place from church. I didn't know them yet, but it was fun to visit get to know them. Dave said on the way home and I quote, "Tomorrow would be a good day to see the fountain, except for the mobs of people slaughtering each other to buy tickle-me-elmos." Maybe it's not funny anymore, but it hit me funny at the time. I was picturing it all, very vividly in my mind. I have done the black Friday thing before, but there's NO way we're going to attempt anything like that here. I can't even imagine the traffic tomorrow when on a normal day it's insane. Dave has off for almost a week which is wonderful. He's been working his brains out with school, got a cold last week, so the poor guy needs a break. As for myself, well, I've been just swamped with um... feeding him... and um... running around sight seeing with my guest. So, we're very happy for the break. = P On the way home today, we thought we would stop and get a movie at this cheap, not Blockbuster place. The old releases are cheap. So, I'm ashamed to admit it, but when we went to check out, he told us that we could get THREE more for a dollar cheaper! They have a 5 movies for 5 bucks deal! And you can keep them for a week. Yikes! I don't know if we'll get all of them watched. Dave is pretty excited about Citizen Cane though. = ) And I guess we're trapped in the house anyway, with the mobs of people slaughtering each other in the streets outside...

HAIRCUTS: This will be a boring story. I have been Dave's sole hair dresser since our sacred nuptials back in the summer. Not to toot my own horn, but I feel that I generally do just as good a job as the ones he pays for. And I can cut it just like I like it. Well, in theory anyway. And I'm hoping with all the money we save by me cutting his hair, I'll be able to actually get my hair cut one of these days. I have also not had one since our sacred nuptials, many a fortnight ago. Anyway, so lately I've been getting more and more daring with the actual clippers and not just using scissors. The only problem I have with using the clippers is the dreaded ledge! If there are women out there who cut their husbands hair with clippers, they should know exactly what I mean, by the ledge. It looks so nice and neat to use clippers along the sides and back, but the top should be longer, so how do you blend it nicely together without having this obvious line/ledge thingy? So this morning I cut Dave's hair and I used a smaller clippers than I had used last time. Which made the ledge even more pronounced. At first I was freaking out thinking I had made it look terrible. Oddly though, I did exactly the same thing on both sides, and one side had a huge bumpy ledge, while the other side blended perfectly. I declared it a problem with his head rather than my haircutting ability. (hmmmm... good thing I don't do this for money) Anyway, I played with it long enough that I think with enough gel in it, the final product looks quite smashing. So there really is no point to this story.

JOB SEARCH: I did a job interview yesterday. sigh. I'm not sure what to think. The interviewer said he would call me on Monday and I'm hoping to buy some more time after that, if he does offer me the job. I would sort of like to do some more interviews first. Anyway, the job is being a coordinator for mentally handicapped people of all ages - babies through elderly - making sure they have the services they need. Here's the pros and cons of the job that I know of at this point:

pros -- After a probationary period, you can set your own hours and work from home. The money is okay, not great, not terrible.

cons -- This is not the population that I'm most comfortable with or have much experience with. I prefer to work with kids or teenagers. Which leads me to the next drawback - in this job, you barely see the clients anyway - it's so much paperwork and behind the scenes work, with a little interaction here and there with the clients. It's a huge caseload and a lot to juggle.

And, this is both a con and a pro. At my 3 month job as a case manager that I had before I took my last job, we had to bill medicaid for services. It's sorta a long story how it works, but I HATED it! We were suppose to bill 5.75 hours PER DAY and everything was written down on notes, some in 15 minute increments. So we would run around like chickens all day and then at the end of the day, you had to be able to come up with all your "billable" services and write them all down. I could never get up to that many hours, even though I was busy all the time. It was just a huge pain. This job requires that you bill medicaid as well, but it's only 2 hours per day rather than almost 6 which would be much more doable.

Anyway, I have no clue what will happen and what I'll decide. Okay, I think that's all for now. I have to go watch a movie with my hubby. = P Or we could watch 2 and then go shopping...

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Here's a tip that might help the hair cutting. Start with the sides. Start at the bottom and go straight up not with the shape of the head. You start on head and end when the clippers is not on the head anymore. this is hard to explain. Then you use the longer blade and go over everything. Or you just use one length all over -very easy!

Rita said...

Sounds like you chose wisely to not go out shopping with the mobs. I'm glad I was in a safe country today (!) Take it from one who knows in the cutting-hubbys-hair dep't.: Practice makes perfect and does wonders for your marriage too!