Monday, November 17, 2008

Is it a happy story, is it a sad story... you tell me.

I have to share about our Saturday. Dave and I frequently talk about wanting to go to a football game, but not being able to afford tickets. This past Saturday we had to go to campus for something anyway, so we decided to just get in on some of the game day madness with out actually going to the game. So we were walking around (gee, it feels a bit chilly out here for the south) and making our way to where the band would be marching down the hill and into the stadium. We kept seeing people with tickets for sale and we'd go back and forth... should we just ask... should we not... then we'll want to buy them... then they won't leave us alone... we really should use our money to buy things we need like um... paying bills and curtains for the guest room. Anyway, we made our way to where the band would pass by and were standing there and then you know you start to get all into the hype and we did really want to go to the game... so this guy walked passed with tickets and Dave looks at me and we thought, ah well, might as well ask. So he asks the guy and he says 20 bucks a ticket. A steal of a deal really, but still, is it responsible for us to spend 40 bucks right now on tickets? So we're standing there debating and I'm thinking about the curtains and grocery bill... and then this other guy standing right beside us in the crown says, "How many tickets do you need? I got 6 tickets for free." OH MY! I said, oh, we only need 2... (we're so nice you can keep the other 4). So 40 dollar ticket man walked off and we got 2 free tickets in the lower deck. Oh my. FREE I tell you... FREE!!!! We were so excited. I mean, how much better could it have worked out? We walked passed so many people selling tickets and didn't stop, but the first one we asked - ahhh, such perfect timing. So anyway, it was very fun seeing the band and I was starting to follow football a little more than usual (which doesn't take much) although I'd still prefer hockey. Anyway, the only problem was that it was COLD and WINDY. And we did not dress for attending the game at all - we were not wearing warm clothes and were just sitting there freezing like mad. So we were talking about what to do... The score at half time was 23-other team 3-LSU. It was looking pretty bleak for them anyway. We decided to leave after the half time show, although we really did want to stay, it was just the freezing factor that motivated us to leave. I kept saying I would like to see at least one LSU touchdown, but it was not to be. So we went to the grocery store on the way home, got back in the car, and would you believe it, the score was 33 LSU/ 31 other team. I guess the score at one point was 31-3 for the other team, but LSU ended up scoring 37 points straight for what their biggest come back game ever. Dave was literally ill. We were THERE! We could have seen it ALL! Anyway, that is my happy-sad story for the evening.

On a completely different note: overheard from someone, somewhere, in a far away land...

"STOP calling me LORD!!! That's an ORDER!!!" (I was just trying to be Biblical, sheesh!)

person 1: "I don't care how PRACTICAL it is if it looks stupid!!
person 2: "I don't care how stupid it looks, if it's PRACTICAL!! It's form versus function!!
person 1: "FORM! I'll take form please!!

"I need to head to campus... and as a man, that's a very powerful thing..." (It's along story, but let me just tell you that adding that to the end of every sentence can be quite fun and entertaining...)

(adoringly)... "you're the best thing to ever happen to you." (huh?)

"We were out of ice cream so I had a bowl of cole slaw." haha. refer to previous post. oh, and gag. yeah, it's still hanging around.

8 comments:

Jenni said...

well, that is one of the saddest things i've heard in awhile (not counting world hunger, etc!!) so sorry you didn't stay!

your conversations make me laugh!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my word, you're hilarious. But you already knew that. I think it's a sad story! But I'm wondering - if you'd bought the $20 tickets from that dude, would you have stayed for the whole thing?? Is there a lesson in there about not valuing as much stuff that's free - like God's grace? Okay, I'm WAY over-spiritualizing it, I know! : )

rachelslab said...

I honestly don't think we would have stayed if we had spent 50 bucks on tickets. There becomes a point when all your body cares about is homeostasis or something like that. Looking back, what we should have done is just taken frequent breaks to get out of the wind. The people sitting between us and the aisle (is that what you call it in a stadium?) had all left so it would have been easy to get out. Yes, that's what we should have done. sigh.

Anonymous said...

it's a sad, sad story! but it's no fun to be cold, so i don't blame you. well, i do blame you, b/c who else is there to blame? but you know what i mean.

Sabrina said...

Very sad story. Maybe you could have spent the money you saved on tickets and bought a blanket or coffee to dump on yourselves or something. I hate to admit this, but I had the evil thought that you could have sold your free tickets for 40 and then gone shopping. (can you tell I'm not a football fan?? :))

Matthew and Rhonda said...

great story, although sad. better luck next time! :)

shaunjoy said...

Augh! That would be so frustrating! I'll admit that I scarcely leave a sports game early for fear that just such an event will occur. (Of course, it never does and therefore I suffer needlessly.)

I liked Sabrina's suggestion. Ha!

Robyn said...

Maybe I'm odd, but I think it's a happy story. :-) I like free stuff.
Anyway, I really appreciate your comment on my blog. It seriously warmed my heart to think of you praying for me. I'm not being sarcastic! :-)
Keep on, we're not finished yet...