Friday, February 16, 2007

Sorry about your luck - Part 2

Since it's been awhile since I've written a bitter diatribe of the downtrodden, I thought it was about time. I'll jumo right in - You know you're in for a long day when... it started out in the unpleasant manner of waking up 2 hours before I had to get up, unable to sleep. As I was groggily getting ready for the day, I ran out of hot water in the shower and became very chilly. Also at the same time, our furnace has not been working right, so when I got out of the freezing cold shower, it was also about 63 degrees in the house. At that point, I was in a very foul mood. But I managed to eventually wake and cheer up considerably. THEN, I was going to be on the road a lot today. As I was making a 45 minute treck to a small town, driving the company car, I heard an odd noise, sounded like something hit the side of the car. Then it all happened so fast that I'm still scratching my head (in the proverbial sense). About that fast, I was completely unable to drive and pulling over to the side, as one car whips past me and I turn around to look and another car is about 2 feet from mine, buried in snow. WHAT IN THE WORLD? I stumbled out of the car looked at the climbing out of his buried car and said "Did I HIT you??" He said no, and started to explain that the one guy was able to go around me, but cars were coming so he took the ditch. So then I told him I must have blown a tire, because something happened to make my vehicle stop, apparently rather quickly to cause all the commotion. It's all really fuzzy in my brain. I guess (after the very friendly and patient man had explained it about 5 times I caught on to what happened) the guy who went sailing past me was the one right behind me (he also stopped to make sure everyone was all right) was the one following right behind me. Then the guy who hit the ditch was the one following him. So he had to call a tow truck, someone from work eventually came to change my tire, and in the meantime, the police came, put out orange cones, had lights flashing, and directed traffic. (Police in this area get really bored I think) I was still sort of on the road and when the tow truck came we were blocking a lot. So that was my fun for the day. I should mention also that it was bitterly cold. And I left my sorels in Canada. I think everything else went fairly smoothly after that, but it's worth mentioning that my own vehicle has been acting odd. My steering wheel acts like it's having a perpetual seizure. It's always shaking back and forth in a speedy manner. Also when I was driving back from a training this week it was shimmying so bad it felt like I was sitting in a vibrating chair. If any guys have some suggestions as to what might be wrong, please let me know. And to end on a positive note, after 4 years of not seeing a dentist, I have NO cavities, and my gums, despite bleeding and soreness, are actually quite healthy. ya don't say.

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

what a day! i'm glad you weren't hurt. I'm not a guy, but here's my take on your car. Our car was doing that shaking thing a lot yesterday and we came to the conclusion that it might just be frozen tires. sounds really weird, but it eventually stopped.

OK, so I know very little about cars, but I'd suggest you get your tires balanced. Wise words from my dad, if your stering wheel is shaking the front tires need balanced, if your seat is shaking, the back tires need balanced. If I got any part of that wrong, don't blame my dad! :) Hope tomorrow is GREAT for you!

Jenni said...

wow, sabrina the mechanic! have someone check it out who won't rip you off and tell you that you need lots of stuff you don't need. do you know anyone like that? gary m???

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a strange, scary, and thankfully safe day. Our furnace has been quitting sporadically too...gotta hate them freezing cold mornings. :( The car? I'd agree with Sabrina...check to see that the tires are aligned. Yay for healthy teeth! I'm going in next week after a 2-year hiatus -- hopefully no drilling required.

~ Joy