Saturday, May 13, 2006

getting started

So, I'm sitting in my very quiet house, recently graduated from school, all the excitement and the action of the last week (lots of company, etc.) has died down, got the house cleaned, no paper to write (this would be a terrible sentence if I was writing a paper), going a bit stir crazy already and not a clue what to do with this new found freedom. So then I thought, hey, let's start a blog. So that's what I did. Because I want to be cool like all my friends. I'm new to this, but I like reading the sites of my friends and family, so we'll give it a shot.

What to say... well, a bit about life recently. The last few months have been very busy with finishing up school, but that has joyously ended and I'm thinking about bigger and better things now, mainly a trip to Madagascar and then the Netherlands in June. I can't wait!

Last Saturday was graduation. My dad and sister and her family a friend from Ohio were here for the weekend for that. It was great to see them. Then I was babysitting my sister's 2 boys until yesterday, Friday I guess it was. We had a lot of fun, but it was "busy" to say the least, and I have a greater respect and admiration for all mothers of young children out there.

In the midst of the day care going on here, my brother, his son, and a friend seem to be of the mind that biking 2200 miles across the country is fun and desirable. I was one of their stops along the way. It was great to see them. (It was also fun watching them eat - they had biked over 100 miles without much food, then we went to a buffet and they ate for about an hour and a half) Thursday morning I decided to be a nice person and go to the bakery and buy some pleasing things for them to eat. Well, being the bright one that I am, I parked in a place that I should not have. I was barely in the bakery 30 seconds when a cop came in and asked if that was my car. It was raining outside, it was slippery, and as he leads me out of the building (and down slippery steps), lecturing me on appropriate parking practices, I suddenly went flying through the air, landing on my posterior, and sat rather stunned for a moment. He immediately ceased the parking lecture and began inquiring as to my physical well-being. Yes, well, the whole ordeal was rather embarrassing. I had to move my car, go back into the bakery, where the cop and lady behind the counter were discussing my misfortune and the treacherous steps. good times.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl! I so no what you mean about trouble with cars!! I have been having trouble with my own and can't figure out what is wrong! Course I guess your trouble was more walking. I have trouble with parking, too. don't feel bad! you're not alone!
Great pics! yea for you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel,

Congratulations on graduating!!! I'm glad you started a blog because you have a great way with words. You almost always make me laugh. :) Enjoy your freedom!

Anonymous said...

Rachel!
Isn't graduating fun! What do I do now was what came to my mind. Like the pictures! Hot mommas!
Love,
Steph

Anonymous said...

you know, thats the weird thing about life... sometimes policemen, and stairs, are our friends.. but then sometimes they're not.

i hope everything is healing up okay, physically and emotionally (and psychologically, spiritually, socially, economically, biologically... so on and so forth)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Rachel!! Great to see you in that cap and gown!! Best wishes for your future and have an awesome trip to Madagascar and the Netherlands!!

Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I see you're now a cool, blogger person! I'll have fun reading! As you can see, I didn't call tonight. Keith was gone to a meeting and the boys were sorta crazy... Talk to you soon, hopefully!!